When to rewire?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To suggest a rewire you must support it with evidence. My house was wired in 1971 and it is perfectly sound.
I would expect a rewire carried out in 1971 has had a number of additions and modifications since the initial install 50+ years ago
Back then the 3036 Wylex board was still the consumer unit of choice and ELCB's were generally only found on TT systems, the 14th edition regs were a lot less onerous and having moved on 4 editions and many amendments and the proliferation of appliances needing power over the last 5 decades and having also become a more litigious society it has certainly changed the landscape of how older installations are viewed

I'm sure that if you were carrying out an EICR on an untouched 1971 rewire you would not be giving it a perfectly sound assessment with no C2 or C3 codes

I'm sure that if you were carrying out an EICR on an untouched 1971 rewire you would not be giving it a perfectly sound assessment with no C2 or C3 codes
I find older systems tend to test out better than many newer ones, except when bob the builder has been changing things. I have a theory that any electrical faults have been arcing so long they have welded themselves together :ROFLMAO:

I find older systems tend to test out better than many newer ones, except when bob the builder has been changing things. I have a theory that any electrical faults have been arcing so long they have welded themselves together :ROFLMAO:
Back in the day testing was not carried out much in all honesty, most sparkies only carried a megger, basic voltage test and a earth loop impedance tester if you were lucky.
IMO with the amount of testing today VIR cables would not take too much pulling about, especially at the accessories connected to the stuff just fell apart in your hands. Hopefully most of that has been relaced but I bet there is some still in service.

Last edited: