Where do you shop???????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Just wondered where everyones favourite place or places where to buy cable and materials, suppose it should be where do you think the cheapest place to buy stuff is?

Just wondered where everyones favourite place or places where to buy cable and materials, suppose it should be where do you think the cheapest place to buy stuff is?
Balance of cost -vs- convenience if you really need something quick local to where you are!

WILTS with occasional solitary items from elsewhere.

Denmans I find are expensive tbh.

I normally get the best deals by playing one supplier off another.

I use different suppliers for different needs and what they stock.

I find the steeple range that denmans churn out to be cheap and nasty but some people swear by them.

I normaly would buy my cable in bulk, works out far cheaper, but you have to be aware of the copper prices to take advantage of this.

I always use double pole switched socket outlets, and 20 amp light switches rather than the 10 amp normal ones.

These are normally more expensive but again I bulk buy to keep the price down.

I have never bought anything but sundries from screwfix as they have never come close to giving me the discount that I would like.

All discounts you get from a supplier is based on your useage, and is normaly split into 4 catergories, so you get class 1 which is basic discount on certain products which are normally used by your "class" of custom.

Then class 2 which is a discount on the normal stuff plus some occasional stuff.

Then class 3 which is as above but with equal discounts on a wider range.

Then class 4 which is all the above and extra discount based on your monthly or anual purchases.

This is not definative and all distributors would account and discount accordingly.

Denmans I find are expensive tbh.I normally get the best deals by playing one supplier off another.I use different suppliers for different needs and what they stock.

I find the steeple range that denmans churn out to be cheap and nasty but some people swear by them.

I normaly would buy my cable in bulk, works out far cheaper, but you have to be aware of the copper prices to take advantage of this.

I always use double pole switched socket outlets, and 20 amp light switches rather than the 10 amp normal ones.

These are normally more expensive but again I bulk buy to keep the price down.

I have never bought anything but sundries from screwfix as they have never come close to giving me the discount that I would like.

All discounts you get from a supplier is based on your useage, and is normaly split into 4 catergories, so you get class 1 which is basic discount on certain products which are normally used by your "class" of custom.

Then class 2 which is a discount on the normal stuff plus some occasional stuff.

Then class 3 which is as above but with equal discounts on a wider range.

Then class 4 which is all the above and extra discount based on your monthly or anual purchases.

This is not definative and all distributors would account and discount accordingly.
Many good points GH! :D

especially the highlighted one... ;)

IMHO if you can build up some regular business with two (or three) wholesalers....

AND if they have e-mail access so you can drop quote request to them...

can be quite quick & easy to compare two or three prices...

and pick the best...

With business slow wholesalers are more willing to price match. ;)

ALSO

some wholesalers have specific brands that are their personal favourite items to push & discount..

which can be OK if doing say a full rewire which no need to match any products..

but if doing alterations or additions customer may want same matching product that is already on the wall...

this is when one wholesaler may not be able to get items that are not part of their "standard stock range".

so it can be helpful to have more than one supplier option.

Yes I have regular e-mail updates on special features from suppliers.

I even had a free bacon butt from one supplier for about a month, and never bought a single item:^O but I showed up every morning for the bacon!

My suppliers know I will go to the cheapest it keeps them on their toes, as a result I can get some very good prices.

I have a stock of around 10 full cu's enough cable to wire wembly all over again, and I have thrown more broken gu10 lights away to fill a 20cube skip.

So having a large stock without proper care can cost you more so be carefull glass breaks. :_|

Started off with City for my first account as they were the only ones offering terms at the term, got my credit rating and went to Edmundsons for better prices but they are a bit out of my way. Now using Neweys as they are local and even better prices.

Currently waiting for eddys to ask why I'm not having much off them and then the prices should drop further.

Constantly get calls off city to ask if I need anything, I just laugh.

Small stuff I get from wherever is nearest

When I started in Jan I went to the local independant wholesaler who came accross totally un interested so started using tlc cause of there online ordering, but I was quite busy in feb and march (died off again now to nothing now) so put quite a of business through them but never got a discount or a freebie or anything so when I heard of electricfix I got a catalogue and find it ideal for what I do, I can take a normal screwfix catalogue round tothe customer and let them pick the bits out and order them for 15% less so instant profit and the customer thinks they are getting them at cost because screwfix advertise "trade prices" and "where the trade buys" so customer thinks I'm getting it from them. Also only made 2 orders and already got a free pair of dewalt glasses coming. I also get quick bits if in a hurry from screwfix as its concenient and always open.

I use the GFE electrical wholesale group (Eyre & Elliston Ltd ) & get a mighty fine discount & play them off against Neweys .... GFE win every time..

Occasionaly use screwfix/electricfix when in need of materials at short notice over a weekend (3 branches within 13 miles).

Used to use TLC but GFE bnow price match or beat their prices.

City only used them once, was working 4 doors down from the reading branch, job for a mate on the same estate & was treated like a diy numpty (in non work wear & driving my car) & charged accordingly by the spotty twonk behind the counter, piped up that the cost was over the top for trade & got told "well you dont look like your in the trade"

Left the materials on the counter called GFE while still in the place & ordered what I needed & requested delivery later that day to the site.

I use the GFE electrical wholesale group (Eyre & Elliston Ltd ) & get a mighty fine discount & play them off against Neweys .... GFE win every time..Occasionaly use screwfix/electricfix when in need of materials at short notice over a weekend (3 branches within 13 miles).

City only used them once, was working 4 doors down from the reading branch, job for a mate on the same estate & was treated like a diy numpty (in non work wear & driving my car) & charged accordingly by the spotty twonk behind the counter, piped up that the cost was over the top for trade & got told "well you dont look like your in the trade"

Left the materials on the counter called GFE while still in the place & ordered what I needed & requested delivery later that day to the site.
Hah! Nice one !

I use the GFE electrical wholesale group (Eyre & Elliston Ltd ) & get a mighty fine discount & play them off against Neweys .... GFE win every time..Occasionaly use screwfix/electricfix when in need of materials at short notice over a weekend (3 branches within 13 miles).

M

I am with you and also purchase most of my stuff through GFE have used them since I started. I do shop around but find them competitive on most of the stuff I buy from them.

Batty