Where to start?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosbyrs

Reaction score
as it says i am a little confused as to what i need to start with first training wise.

i am looking for jobs at the moment with local sparkys, but i want to know myself what the usual way forward is and what course i would need to start on.

i am 22 and dont have much electrical experience but good general knowledge of it and how things work.

i have recently finished a ccna in networking but after finding networking not entirely for me i am going to start a new career as an electrician.

any advise welcomed:)

Things are a bit up in the air right now, the City & Guilds 2330 levels 2&3 and the 2356 NVQ are due to be replaced by a combined technical certificate & NVQ, (the 2357) but the new qualification hasn't been issued yet & colleges don't know if funding will continue for the 2330...

My advice would be to apply to your local college for whatever course they're running in September & try to get some work experience or a job with a local firm. Many contractors would like apprentices but don't wan't the hassle of a school leaver who doesn't know what he wants to do when he grows up... At 22 you're young enough to be trained but hopefully you're already house-trained & if you can drive that's even better!

The NICEIC, ECA & NAPIT websites all have find a contractor sections where you can put in your town or postcode to find local firms, get a list of local contractors, send them a letter & CV then ring them a few days later to prove you're keen.

Good luck!

Sorry admin, I should have pointed that out, I consider my knuckles wrapped!

Try and get on as a labourer with an electrical firm. Let them know what you're plans are (college, complete relevant courses, become electrician).

If you like what you see/do, enrol at college (August?).

Course to take.

City and Guilds 2330 Level 2 (2yrs) and then level 3.

That's enough to start with.

If you want my reasons for getting on as a labourer first.

A) Much more availability for that work

B) Employer can see what you're like (don't moan, always seem keen even when you can't be arsed)

C) Be a shame to enrol and shell out cash then find out you don't actually want/like the idea of being a sparks.

Just my opinion.

Good luck

I am currently involved in my 2230 level 2 at the moment with olci i read your reply Brian about these possibly changing where will that leave people like me who are currently doing 2330

thanks for all the comments and help guys.

with regards to the ccna i have been into computers and electrics since school but i have tried the computer route and as i am an active person and don't really want to be stuck in one place i have decided to take on a new challenge and turn it into a career and maybe even my own business in many years.

thanks again:)