Which Tester?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk1rob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've currently got a Megger MFT1720 multifunction tester. Had it just under 3 years and I'm not happy with it. It has recently failed a calibration and also the right hand dial seems to have a poor connection between high and low current loop impedance. Im sending it back to Megger under warranty and when i get it back i will be getting it recalibrated and selling it on.

Looking at different testers now and thinking about a test kit (Individual testers). That way if something goes faulty i'll only have to replace the one tester. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of these over a multifunction tester?

Also what tester would you recommend? I have been told Kewtech are good and cheaper than Megger but never used them. Im not put off Megger so won't rule it out. The Megger MTK320 kit looks good. The Kewtech kit seems more basic (No auto RCD test etc) but is cheaper.

What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance!

I think Kewtech amalgamated with Kyoritsu some time back. I have several Kyoritsu testers and I can't fault them so if Kewtech are similar then I certainly wouldn't have a problem with them.

I also prefer separate testers.

I have seperate testers and they can be a pain in the buttress TBH ...swopping & changing from one to the other . 

Kewtek are the old Robin too by the way ,  they seem fine to me , I use a Kewtek Loop tester  good but it trips RCBOs .

Martindale continuity / Insul .

Megger RCD tester .

If I was 50 yrs younger I'd buy a multitest  TBH  .

I started off with separates still have them. As forum sparks of the year says they are a bit of a pain changing from one to another. I think you will regret going for separates as you are used to a MFT. I have a Fluke 1652 which is my second one. I have had a lot of testers over the years but to me the Fluke has been the best and I would have another one. If you do buy another have a word with Megger Mark he will be very competitive with prices in fact The last one I brought from him was very good price a great deal cheaper than the price I was quoted from a wholesaler.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ive done some research and MFTs are generally a lot cheaper than separates so I've gone for a Fluke 1652 MFT as it seems to get good reviews. Also thinking about it, its what the college were using for the 2391 course so i figure they must be pretty reliable.

Thanks again

I`m using the same 1652 I bought in 2005 ;)

Its had to have recalibration once; and been repaired once, too ( Thanks to our forum Sponsor, Megger Mark) :) :)

Best unit I`ve used, to be honest - and I`ve used quite a few 

Canoeboy said:
Why are you buying a Megger ? Cant understand the Fluke ? :slap
they are not smart enough to start a Z / PFC test once connected to a supply... at least a megger starts the test on its own without having to be instructed to do so. and iirc, you also have to press a button to do continuity?

Last edited by a moderator: