which voltage testers do you use

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got a shock off a metal shaver socket, i had enough fault current through me to trip the rcd. i travelled quite some distance before i realized what had happened, only just managed to stay on my feet, glad no one was in the way. Ive had loads of shocks but this really hurt couldnt stop shaking for a while. Scary when in a house on your own. I do alot less Zs by measurement now, its calculated.

When we work with other sparks on commercial jobs we are the only ones locking off and using the tester correctly.

I mentioned what happened in the wholesalers and someone said they had a shock off the same shaver socket, strange stuff!
Was it one with the open terminals?

yes it was the primary side and i was holding the earthed front plate. I was trying to lock the lug of the drylining box in place when i must have touched the terminal. I was screwing it back. Stupid i know.

But as i have found out i wasnt the only one with this particular shaver socket.

yes it was the primary side and i was holding the earthed front plate. I was trying to lock the lug of the drylining box in place when i must have touched the terminal. I was screwing it back. Stupid i know.But as i have found out i wasnt the only one with this particular shaver socket.
You better tell us what breed!?

Fluke T5 and wouldn't be without it. Had it for about the last 4 years and still reliable. Applaud Smiley

I have other meters including a steinel but always tend to carry the Fluke.

Has been worth every penny in my opinion. ;)

i got a shock off a metal shaver socket, i had enough fault current through me to trip the rcd. i travelled quite some distance before i realized what had happened, only just managed to stay on my feet, glad no one was in the way. Ive had loads of shocks but this really hurt couldnt stop shaking for a while. Scary when in a house on your own. I do alot less Zs by measurement now, its calculated.

When we work with other sparks on commercial jobs we are the only ones locking off and using the tester correctly.

I mentioned what happened in the wholesalers and someone said they had a shock off the same shaver socket, strange stuff!
Just wondered if any of you sparkies out there have any procedures in place for lone working ie do you phone the office or Mrs at certain times if you are the sole person working in a property. Do you ensure that you always keep mobile phone on you?

Just wondered if any of you sparkies out there have any procedures in place for lone working ie do you phone the office or Mrs at certain times if you are the sole person working in a property. Do you ensure that you always keep mobile phone on you?
thats pretty lame if your wanting to hook it up to a circuit thats on or dead and find it in an unlabelled db etc

As russell; unless its three phase, with connections to make in an energised DB.

Then, we won`t do lone working. There MUST be another person available, who has some electrical training, and first aid skill.

KME

quite a combination of tester get used depending on the situation but i use the following kit:-

Di-Log DL6790 http://www.dilog.co.uk/_vct_DL6790.htm

MK 6090 non-contact voltage tester for general indication without having to take things apart http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK6090.html?source=adwords&kw=mk%206090&gclid=CObk_rrW454CFaBb4wodsznuJg

a socket & see sok22 plug top tester for quick checks on sockets. http://www.test4less.co.uk/details.asp?menuselect=e&CategoryID=25&ProductID=79

then for actual testing we are provided with a set of robin test gear like this http://www.robinelectronics.co.uk/products/16thedtestkit.html

then at work we use small metal lock off devices with suited padlocks so that we can lock off a circuit in a tenants house on call out and a colleague can follow on the next morning and get on with the job safely.