Whirlpool bath

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaohm7

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a job on Monday regarding connecting up a whirlpool bath. The client has told me over the phone that a supply is available in the airing cupboard which is next to the bathroom. Depending on what supply is in the airing cupboard and I'm guessing a circuit to an immersion heater, I will be looking at spurring off a ring and using a rcd spur connection unit if there is no rcd protection on the board.

Sounds okay to me, depending what supply the bath needs. What was your question?

I will check load requirements of the bath first and go from there. I was thinking about any problems with fitting an RCD outlet spur in the airing cupboard with regards the ambient temp in there

I can't see it being a problem, it's not likely to get excessively hot in there, unless the tank is not lagged correctly. People have CUs in their airing cupboards so an RCD spur should be no different

Just keep your cables and RCD spur away from any hot water pipes, then everything should be cool!

Do you know where the shower pump is going?

Just keep your cables and RCD spur away from any hot water pipes, then everything should be cool! Do you know where the shower pump is going?
It's a whirlpool bath mate. I assume that all the control gear will be underneath it with a supply from the airing cupboard next door.

Just out of interest would that make it notifiable? The supply is a modified circuit and the work is under the bath and in the airing cupboard so not in the bathroom.
Technically the electrics will be out of the zones as it is under the bath providing you need a tool to remove the side panel that is. It's early days as I've not seen the job yet as I was only going on the info that I've already received from the client. I will give an update on Monday..

The electric powers the pump that circulates the water within the bath so for the relatively little time and cost of registering it, I would.

Just out of interest would that make it notifiable? The supply is a modified circuit and the work is under the bath and in the airing cupboard so not in the bathroom.
Don't confuse:-

a) The zones within the bathroom where various voltage accessories are permitted

and

B) Locations containing a bath or shower that requires notification.

If you have to go through the bathroom door to get to the airing cupboard then tis in the bathroom.

If the airing cupboard is next to the bathroom but is accessed from the landing then its NOT in the bathroom!

i.e. Items in the bathroom, but outside of zones (airing cupboard & under the bath) still need LABC notification.

Just as work in kitchens is notifiable...

even if its under the work top to power the built in appliance!!!

Job needs Part P Notification!

Simples! ;)

The Volex RCD spur has a max operating temp of 40 degC. I cant see it geting that hot in an airing cupboard.

I would notify myself.