Will Smart meter show export electricity from excess solar panel electricity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncooper0502

Reaction score
Ovo are refusing a smart meter installation, they are refusing to install one at my place saying we are to rural and it won't work, andI do not know much about them, but I am trying to push for an installation at any rate, as it will help monitor my solar panel and electric consumption, I think. So does the indoor display of the smart meter show you how much you export even if you not getting paid for it or signed up to export elec? if it does show excess production from the solar panel, Then I could increase possible my usage to reduce elec cost.

Last edited:
johncooper0502, any supply company will only install a smart meter if it is beneficial to them, not to you.
Smart meters work by sending the current reading (It can even send a reading every 30 minutes if they want it to.) via the cellular network, so if the cellular network map for where you live says no or flaky coverage then like I said, no smart meter for you. There are some more things about SM's but that is for another time.
If you want to know how much your solar panels are generating, and how much you are importing, you don't need a SM to tell you that, so long as you have a smart phone, you can buy a device that will tell your smartphone via an app. I found this one Click here that costs £33 that tells you what you want to know, and will always work no matter who your supplier is.
I have a similar device, that I ignore, but it does show how much energy I am using. (I don't have solar or a SM)
magic box.jpg

johncooper0502, any supply company will only install a smart meter if it is beneficial to them, not to you.
Smart meters work by sending the current reading (It can even send a reading every 30 minutes if they want it to.) via the cellular network, so if the cellular network map for where you live says no or flaky coverage then like I said, no smart meter for you. There are some more things about SM's but that is for another time.
If you want to know how much your solar panels are generating, and how much you are importing, you don't need a SM to tell you that, so long as you have a smart phone, you can buy a device that will tell your smartphone via an app. I found this one Click here that costs £33 that tells you what you want to know, and will always work no matter who your supplier is.
I have a similar device, that I ignore, but it does show how much energy I am using. (I don't have solar or a SM)
View attachment 17057
Ok, but according to Ofgem and smartenergygb you can insist 1726295417911.png
I just want to know when my panels are producing am i using all of it or am i exporting some, i got a monitor on the inverter that tells me how much i am producing, but not if i am using all. Apparently, smart meters tell you when you export so can use more electricity like cook dinner early use a washing machine have a shower etc.

Ovo are refusing a smart meter installation, they are refusing to install one at my place saying we are to rural and it won't work, andI do not know much about them, but I am trying to push for an installation at any rate, as it will help monitor my solar panel and electric consumption, I think. So does the indoor display of the smart meter show you how much you export even if you not getting paid for it or signed up to export elec? if it does show excess production from the solar panel, Then I could increase possible my usage to reduce elec cost.
Have you still got an old style rotary meter with dial or a digital version newer style

If you get hold of a refurb digital dumb meter and wire it in backwards then that will register how much is escaping to the grid. That type of meter will not count down when you take power from the grid but will put up an R E D warning when it sees import from the grid. Just ignore that.

I wouldn't bother with a smart meter! Mine an L&G E470 is useless for the consumer, it is very very hard to read and often resets the display to all dots on for several minutes before finally giving you what you asked for. It is possible on the meter only if you have the patience to find exported power BUT the indoor unit definitely does not display that. Don't ask for one, you will forever be kicking yourself...........

View attachment 17057
I use a simple method to get an idea of what is happening PEV, on my PC. I use Owl software and hardware not too expensive and very reliable.