Wind turbine

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
been asked to quote for connection of a 10kw single phase. its a hong kong effort and has a 2 core 10mm 30mtr long flex coming from it. my question to you is doest the column require earthing and would a 10mm be ok and would i take it to the MET.

I personallt think it does but not that up to date on DC and if for some bizzare reason it may effect the unit.

my 2nd question is although the flex is a tough rubber the customer is going to bury it but should it be enclosed in ducting for mechanical protection?

thanks

carl

How much did the turbine cost?

Are you installing it mechanically? or just connecting it.

I would earth the column with an earth rod, not from MET, particularly if it's a PME installation.

What sort of controls does it have at the house end?

How much did the turbine cost?Are you installing it mechanically? or just connecting it.

I would earth the column with an earth rod, not from MET, particularly if it's a PME installation.

What sort of controls does it have at the house end?
What's the point of that,,, wouldn't the column base be burried in the ground???

been asked to quote for connection of a 10kw single phase. its a hong kong effort and has a 2 core 10mm 30mtr long flex coming from it. my question to you is doest the column require earthing and would a 10mm be ok and would i take it to the MET.I personallt think it does but not that up to date on DC and if for some bizzare reason it may effect the unit.

my 2nd question is although the flex is a tough rubber the customer is going to bury it but should it be enclosed in ducting for mechanical protection?

thanks

carl
?

What do Manufactures instructions say.....

:)

?What do Manufactures instructions say.....

:)
Instructions? who looks at the instructions? Probably the first place to check but usually the last.

These things usually are connected to an inverter and transformer to change the DC into usable AC of the correct voltage and some kind of regulator and meter to send any excess to the grid. I think you get 30p/unit for excess power returned to the grid as some kind of incentive for 'green' power.

Think the last time I worked it out it would take 30 odd years for the average household to make it pay. I sort of gave up thinking about it at that point.

A rectified DC output from the turbine seems very odd, I have not come accross a turbine that does not produce a 3 phase AC output.

To rectify to DC at the turbine then supply a DC-AC inverter has huge efficiency losses.

Normally any grid tied unit has the 3 phase AC output hard wired to a Voltage regulator/inverter which connects to mains electric.

Sounds to me the unit above is not a correctly spec'ed up job.