Y app readings compared with the smart meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy1733

Reaction score
I've never really noticed this and I'm a little confused. Plus I've just changed to octopus from EDF so I'm not sure if this is a new thing
I've just looked at the readings from the solar app. It says I've used 7kwh of electricity. 3kw imported from grid and 4kw from the battery's. When I've checked the smart metre it states I've used 7.15kw of power at a cost of £2.84. now my tariff is 33p per kWh and 49p standing charge. Which is about £2.84. shouldn't the smart meter only read the electricity I've imported?

Screenshot_2022-11-21-11-33-08-809_com.ginlongsolis.jpgIMG_20221121_113335.jpg

I've just checked back over the past smart app compared to solar app and they look to be as I expected. The one above though is confusing

Yep I get that m8. But 7.15kw compared to 3 kWh. That's quite a big difference.
The past readings per month are quite comparable with only 12-15kw per month difference so the AVG should be .05kw ish

Yep I get that m8. But 7.15kw compared to 3 kWh. That's quite a big difference.
The past readings per month are quite comparable with only 12-15kw per month difference so the AVG should be .05kw ish
Forget the app and the in home display. Read the actual display on the smart meter. Read it very first thing in the morning and then again after the sun has gone down and see how much actual imported energy has been registered, compared to what your inverter / charger says.

I've done that Dave for the past few months. Below are the figures.

June.
Smart 306kwh. Solis app 297
July.
Smart 335. Solis 317
Aug
Smart 253. Solis 237
Sept.
Smart 303. Solis 292
Oct.
Smart 329. Solis 314..

So as you can see from these figures the smart meter is about 12-15kwh different per month. This is for the month so I would expect an AVG per day of 0.5kwh.
From the images above it's showing 4kwh difference over the past 12 hours

Something I've just noticed.
Though I only have 1 days data from the smart meter
My AVG grid usage for this month is 13kwh. Friday (switch to octopus day). My usage jumped 18.9kwh. now I'm not reading into this too much ATM though if I see sat/sun figures it should tell me a bit more

Btw fellez. I'm not disputing the usage. The smart meter and the Solis app are giving SIM readings.
The dispute is the smart meter is registering I've used 7.15kwh and it's says I've been charged for that amount £2.85 which is.
7.15kwh X 0.33p and 49p standing charge which is around the £2.85..

The Solis app says I've used 7.3kwh but 4kwh are from battery discharge and the rest from the grid.

Woke up this morning to these readings. Over 8kwh in 7 hours whilst I'm sleeping.
IMG_20221122_071556.jpgScreenshot_2022-11-22-07-21-20-549_com.ginlongsolis.jpg

It's looking like an issue with the metering system. How that would change with a change in energy supplier I don't know. Has anyone physically changed anything?

The other possibility is the battery is taking some charge to avoid going flat, but that should show on your app.

I've got the battery's set to start charging from the grid at 12,30am. So I presume the spike is the charge. I'm not sure why there would be 2 spikes and over 5kwh each.
If you check the image below when I place the pointer at the top of the spike it's showing my consumption as 2500 ish watts yet the power from grid is over 5000.
It's all a bit strange so the only things that have changed are.
I've switched to octopus from EDF and I've set the timer on the inverter to charge between 1230am and 430am...
Plus the cost of the usage is still at the std rate tariff. I got a confirmation on Saturday the switch was complete. I've just emailed Octopus to confirm the switch has completedScreenshot_2022-11-22-09-45-54-686_com.ginlongsolis.jpg

I've spoken to octopus and they confirmed I am on the octopus go tariff. I asked why the smart meter reading cost per kWh usage didn't add up to the 12p per hour 1230/430 price and to the 40p per hour daytime usage.

He said that the smart metre and the octopus tariff are not compatible for the pricing change it's just the usage that is comparable. Ok I asked, can I get the pricing/usage from the octopus app. Urm no just the usage was his reply. You have to physically calculate the cost yourself...

Haha. Ok. Has anyone else come across this? I guess the smart app is not so smart...

Below is the readings for yesterday octopus app compared to the smart meter/ Solis app above

Screenshot_2022-11-23-14-05-57-674_energy.octopus.octopusenergy.android.jpg

If you have Iphone IOS App Octupus Watch and enter API and will show Useage kWh (near enough exact kWh in the Octopus App) and Price £ for that day and GO symbol as I am on Go, or iPhone App Octopus Compare which is more detailed with useage kWh and Price using daily, weekly, or monthly dates with Total kWh Used for your product ie Go and another product ie Flexible to compare or any you choose in the settings

Yes Octopus should really have a £ Price column for extra info per day and for the Weekly and Monthly

I guess I need to get the smart meter checked. This was the readings thos morning at 830am

IMG_20221202_083141.jpg

This is the actual usage from the app. I spoke to octopus yesterday and she commented that don't use the smart metre to read your usage electricity usage. Use the app. She also commented the gas readings are not that accurate also ☹️ so basically the Smart meter is a waste of time and not that smart...

Screenshot_2022-12-03-09-03-05-719_energy.octopus.octopusenergy.android.jpg

You would have thought so but apparently because I'm using octopus go the smart meter can't read the change in costings. How this effects the kWh reading I'm not sure

Well if that's the case my meter is faulty as today at 830am it's reading 9.2kwh at a cost of £1.88 😄