10mm T&E from meter to CU - Is this OK??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jacko29

I have come across an installation that appears to be using 10mm T&E from the meter (via isolator) to the CU (about a 6 meter run). Seperate earth conductor from MET to supply.

The first question is, is it OK to use T&E as supply cable. The CU will need changing due to damage and I am assuming I will need to update to SWA.

My feeling is, board change will require SWA cable used for supply. along with a correctly rated fused switch for that cable.

If I change the board and left cable as is, would I be in breach of the regs on this one?

Your thoughts please

Thanks

Nothing wrong with 6242Y (twin and earth) as a submain.

You keep saying isolator but mention fuses, do you mean switch fuse? If so then the fuse should be sized for the cable, as per any normal circuit wired with twin and earth. If the cable can carry a maximum of 53A then it should have a 50A or lower CPD.

I came from an installation a few weeks ago with 6mm tails and a 4mm earth feeding the CU. Rewireable fuses, Owners had been there for 47 years and were in their late 80's so they couldnt see the point in doing anything about it. I added a socket in the hallway for their broadband so made sure it was an RCD one and put everything down as clearly as I could on the MWC to cover myself.

Nothing wrong with 6242Y (twin and earth) as a submain.You keep saying isolator but mention fuses, do you mean switch fuse? If so then the fuse should be sized for the cable, as per any normal circuit wired with twin and earth. If the cable can carry a maximum of 53A then it should have a 50A or lower CPD.
I mean a switched fuse unit.

Thats what I think which appears not to be the case here. Though there may be an issue with the cable not being surfaced mounted, but thats another story

Though there may be an issue with the cable not being surfaced mounted, but thats another story
Assuming it's a fairly normal average house and the cable is chased in, then it'll need an RCD to cover it. Anything else and it's onto this other story you mention!

Assuming it's a fairly normal average house and the cable is chased in, then it'll need an RCD to cover it. Anything else and it's onto this other story you mention!
That is the other story!

as already said 10mm T&E is fine as long as the loading and fusing is within the realms of the cable, infact i have done it myself as a temporary measure in someones house until their incomer was relocated later in the job.