110 V Across Earth Terminal's...any Ideas

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screwdriver earth rod... Yes, i have often thought of that, but not mentioned it as i thought people would laugh!! A neon [steps favorite tool!] would be fairly good, [in the case of 100v upwards] but i suppose only as good as the "earth" you are standing on, which might be well different to "true" earth, [as various racehorses will testify]

john....

Binky,

I carry an analogue Avo in the van.

It still has a place in my fault finding armoury.

I will confess to not using a screwdriver if I want a real, true earth potential, I tend to use one of the stakes from my earth rod testing kit in truth, but the same theory holds true.

Why do you think lamp posts are always outside those properties! ;)
Sharp,

I would not rely on a lamp post.

I said something of the like to a guy I know very well who works on street lighting for the local council the other day when he was at mine having a cuppa.

He said that he has had in excess of 200Meg between a column body and true earth, because the columns are anti-corrosion coated below ground level and this is not conductive.

To be honest I was amazed as I have only ever worked on old street lighting where this coating has obviously broken down, or was not present.