12 lamp chandler with LED lamps and dimmer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollymorris

Reaction score
Hi everyone

i have a 12 lamp chandler driven by a 15 - 180w V-COM LED Dimmer Switch - Module (max 20 LEDs) the lamps are LED Bent-Tip Candle Filament Clear • Dimmable • 5W • 2700K • BC-B22d Crompton 12134

I am experiencing multiple/premature failure of the bulbs along with flickering of all the remaining working lamps even when operating at 1/2 power.

60 W should only be drawing 3.83 Amps ?

I have tried all three modes within the dimmer

any ideas?

Last edited:
I had loads of issues with bent tip candles (Venture, I think). They blew up, destroyed dimmers, flickered. Manufacturers were not interested nor the suppliers ( I didn’t spec or supply them). Gave up in the end. The only dimmers that worked were Zano BUT the lamps were so 💩 that when a lamp blew it occasionally took out a dimmer. Ring Zano they are very helpful

Fun fact…. My client bought 100 of these lamps at £11 pounds each 🤔🤫🫢 because 'they knew better'

I had loads of issues with bent tip candles (Venture, I think). They blew up, destroyed dimmers, flickered. Manufacturers were not interested nor the suppliers ( I didn’t spec or supply them). Gave up in the end. The only dimmers that worked were Zano BUT the lamps were so 💩 that when a lamp blew it occasionally took out a dimmer. Ring Zano they are very helpful

Fun fact…. My client bought 100 of these lamps at £11 pounds each 🤔🤫🫢 because 'they knew better'
thats unusual, obviously there are no gasses within the lamp as its LED so it cant be an issue with the shape or "casual". ill be getting in touch with zano thanks for the reply.

Hi everyone

i have a 12 lamp chandler driven by a 15 - 180w V-COM LED Dimmer Switch - Module (max 20 LEDs) the lamps are LED Bent-Tip Candle Filament Clear • Dimmable • 5W • 2700K • BC-B22d Crompton 12134

I am experiencing multiple/premature failure of the bulbs along with flickering of all the remaining working lamps even when operating at 1/2 power.

60 W should only be drawing 3.83 Amps ?

I have tried all three modes within the dimmer

any ideas?

Sorry I can't really offer you a solution, but my thoughts are as follows..

(1) Welcome to the forum... 🍻

(2) Welcome to one of the modern day pain in the bum subjects for many electricians.. "Dimmers & LED lamps"... this has become very much a "Dark Art" in my opinion!.

(3) As Binky said although technical specs may suggest certain lamps and dimmers are all compatible... all too often they are not!!

(4) From my historic experience and/or gut feelings... 'Flickering lights and dimmers tends to go hand in hand with the lamps not drawing enough power to operate the dimmer switch circuitry correctly'.. e.g. consider an "old-school" dimmer switch with '60watt min' & '250watt max' spec, working a four lamp chandler with 4x 25watt traditional filament candle lamps.. If two lamps blow, then the other two working lamps can start flickering on low settings, as they are only drawing 50watts, which is below the spec of the dimmer switch.. {generally any flickering tends to be on the lower settings}

(5) However from what you describe with a 12lamp chandler, with 5watt lamps and a dimmer that can work down to 15watts... It should work.. but as Mr Spock would say... It's Illogical! Something that theoretically should work, in reality doesn't! This is the 'dark-art' world of LEDs & Dimmers!! [Side note: as a young kid I remember walking to school past a local pub with a big sign on the car park which said... "Patrons Park At Their Own Risk".... Which I never really understood in my younger days.. But nowadays my equivalent thoughts would be:- "Customers Choose Dimmable LED's At Their Own Risk"].

(6) As a sole trader.. dimmer switches and dimmable LED light fittings can haemorrhage profit from a simple job quicker than you can drink the mug of tea that the customer made for you!!! Repeat call-backs because the lights don't dim properly like the old filament lamps did, can waste many hours, fuel-miles and loss of earning s from other 'proper-jobs'.

(7) Any LED dimming I want in my own house is done via "Smart-Lamps" and a phone App... NO-DIMMER-SWITCHES! However these are just either traditional Bayonet, Screw thread, or GU10 lamps.. NO fancy decorative candle lamps with bent-tips!!

I wish you well with your search...
But if you were my potential customer asking me to look into the problem for you...
I would probably just walk-away..
As it can end up being too much hassle for minimal financial gain. :(