12v downlights cr@ppy connections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pompeyblue

Reaction score
Does anyone get loads of issues with the GU5.3 bulbs? The connections on the 12v transformers are rubbish.

I keep thinking my bulb blows, and when I go to remove it. Voil

GU5.3 lamps and the G4 socket connectors are probably one of the top worst connector designs of all time. I am struggling to think of any worse connector? The only positive point is that it is reliable in its consistent failure rate.

Doc H.

Why when GU10 50W halogen gives out 40% less light than 12v 50W halogen for the same power used ?
Do they? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to know if 12v 50w halogen lamps give out more light than an equivalant GU10 Lamp

I have fitted more but a very large majority LV compared to mains halogen and don't get many problems with them. There is usually a reason why they fail be it wrong lamps, insulation or quality of fittings. Customers with mains halogen generally say lamps only last a short time even quality branded lamps this is what they tell me and to me the light output is poor. I have 4 LV in my daughters bedroom that have been in approx six years and have probably only replaced one or two lamps in that time. I have four LV snaplite in my bathroom which are surrounded by insulation they have been in two years with no lamp changes yet and no failed lampholders. If i fit halogen they will always be LV.

I have fitted more but a very large majority LV compared to mains halogen and don't get many problems with them. There is usually a reason why they fail be it wrong lamps, insulation or quality of fittings. Customers with mains halogen generally say lamps only last a short time even quality branded lamps this is what they tell me and to me the light output is poor. I have 4 LV in my daughters bedroom that have been in approx six years and have probably only replaced one or two lamps in that time. I have four LV snaplite in my bathroom which are surrounded by insulation they have been in two years with no lamp changes yet and no failed lampholders. If i fit halogen they will always be LV.
I am very glad to hear that,

I dread to think the precautions required to be fitting HV equipment in customers houses. !!!

Yes its a fact, now you will ask me to prove that so i will look it up later. Remember wattage is the power used & the lumens (or candlepower to steptoe) is the light produced
Ah

Last edited by a moderator:
There are/were some connectors that were screw terminals for the bulb pins which should help with the longevity of the connection, which probably means they have been discontinued :C