Weird Voltage reading

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric1066

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm having an issue with a light. Its a fitting that also has another 3 fittings on the dimmer switch.

Basically, one of them isn't working. I changed the bulb and nothing. I tested the bulb, it is fine.

So, I decide to take the fitting off and see if power is actually getting to it, and there is.

So I decide the problem must be where the bulb screws in. No problem, I'll check that and fix it, no problem.

However, when I tested to see if power was getting to the fitting as I said earlier, I noticed something... it didn't read a steady voltage. It was all over the place to be honest. Up and down... sometimes even showing 0v for a mere moment. I also noticed when it sort of does stabilise on a voltage, even if its only for a second or two, it was 215v rather than the average or appx 230v.

Is that because its on a dimmer switch? Or is something else going on?

All help is always greatly appreciated.

Swop the dimmer switch for a normal switch then do your testing, or even disconnect the dimmer and connect the live and switched live together into a Wago or terminal block, this will allow you to check for voltage at the fitting. It would be remiss of me not to say isolate before changing your switch and be very careful if you are going to be doing live testing.

Swop the dimmer switch for a normal switch then do your testing, or even disconnect the dimmer and connect the live and switched live together into a Wago or terminal block, this will allow you to check for voltage at the fitting. It would be remiss of me not to say isolate before changing your switch and be very careful if you are going to be doing live testing.
Yeah, I'm gonna take the dimmer off and wago the wires together, and see what difference it makes.

Thanks!

If three lamps are working and one not surely the fault has to be on the feed to the duff one? Probably a broken connection where-ever that one connects to the rest. It can't really be the dimmer.

Sounds like a loose connection

If three lamps are working and one not surely the fault has to be on the feed to the duff one? Probably a broken connection where-ever that one connects to the rest. It can't really be the dimmer.
It's the second light of four...

They are connected in a standard fashion, from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. If there was a loose connection at 2, then 3 and 4 wouldn't work. But also, wouldn't the weird V reading affect the other 2 working lights in some way? It doesn't, they seem to be working fine.

#2 isn't working because the fitting itself isn't working. I've taken it apart and found the problem, fixing that. But once that's done, I'm guessing it will also work fine.

I'm just freaked by the strange V readings.

If it's working should I just forget about it? Or is there something more sinister?

I'm going to swap out the dimmer just to eliminate it as an issue. If the reading is still going up and down but everything works, could be my meter???

The bulbs are standard screw bulbs. E27. They are 'dimmable' LED bulbs.

E27 fittings can sometimes be very poor, and some E27 lamps are odd sizes. The result can be the contact that makes contact to the screw thread, does not and needs a bit of bending to adjust it.

Third that. Specially common on older fittings
Thanks for the responses.

It's none of those though. Where the neutral screws in to the fitting, that has broken off. So there was no circuit. I've soldered it in place. I knew whatever the reason the fitting wasn't working I'd fix that... still don't know why the voltage goes up and down. That's the question.