17th bonding ... again.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right you don't have to follow the crowd!But you DO need to follow the manufactures instructions! It's in the 17th can't quote it now bit it's there!

Mark
hhhmmmm, never liked that one

Fitted a 14kw electric boiler a while ago

manufacturers instructions (which mentiond live and neutral - never a good start) said that it MUST be installed by a NICEIC registered electrician

i am not one - so have i contravened the regs by contravening the manufactuers expresive directive? ;)

discuss!

forget about bonding in bathrooms, all ccts should be on rcds, all services bonded with 10mm, most new plumbing is plastic so why introduce possible problems by earthing baths,rads etc, in 33yrs ive never bonded pipes under a combi boiler because as someone stated previously theres a metal plate between all pipes on a combi.

hhhmmmm, never liked that oneFitted a 14kw electric boiler a while ago

manufacturers instructions (which mentiond live and neutral - never a good start) said that it MUST be installed by a NICEIC registered electrician

i am not one - so have i contravened the regs by contravening the manufactuers expresive directive? ;)

discuss!
good old nic looking after its members,Guiness DrinkApplaud Smiley

For what its worth, RCDing all circuits and not having to Supp Bond bathrooms or boilers is one of the best bit of the new regs. But it still seems strange not to do it, especially at boiler because I'm so used to it.

Having said that embracing the new is important, and getting used to new work practices is important too. Supp bonding is still in regs to cover 16th installations, and there is no harm in maintaining the practice if desired. But having always considered the practice fairly spurious (especially at boilers which have lots of metal connected together anyway) I for one will RCD before bonding everytime.

just to create confusion i see a lot of main earth bonding done at the combi and no where else, usually one 10mm to the gas and continued unbroken to the incoming water and the rest looped together,

besides the minimum distance rule in the regs it could be argued on some that it was done 'where ever reasonably practical'

years ago it was best practice to bond at the relevent stop taps but now with the introduction of plastic incomers, plastic fittings, new bathroom and kitchen pipework, most bonding is a joke and is usually a token gesture to follow ever changing rules and circumstances

As discussed before betty, this is one of my fave practices when access to stop ***** etc is not possible. But I think its because of plastic pipes etc that new regs rely on RCDs instaed of bonding.

For what its worth, RCDing all circuits and not having to Supp Bond bathrooms or boilers is one of the best bit of the new regs. But it still seems strange not to do it, especially at boiler because I'm so used to it. Having said that embracing the new is important, and getting used to new work practices is important too. Supp bonding is still in regs to cover 16th installations, and there is no harm in maintaining the practice if desired. But having always considered the practice fairly spurious (especially at boilers which have lots of metal connected together anyway) I for one will RCD before bonding everytime.
Thats just like not having to bond sink tops anymore if theres continuity through the pipework to sink top, goes against everything that i ever learned 33 yrs ago, still cant get used to not doing it.

daveGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

I try not to argue with those who write the regs, just follow them - for they are all knowing :^O :^O:^O
yep they the clever ones, not us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:z :z:z:z:z:z:z:z:z