2 Way 2 Gang Smart Switch wiring help...?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee macdonald

Reaction score
Hello, I am replacing some smart switches but struggling to work out how to wire one particular switch. I have done the whole house, but this one is killing me - please help! Details below but shout if i have missed anything...

What I'm trying to achieve is to set up two switches in my hall way that will switch on/off the downstairs light with one switch, and switch on/off the upstairs light with the other switch. The upstairs light is already connected to another switch upstairs which works, so I think I only have to 'power' the second switch and set up a 'smart event' that will automatically connect to the switch upstairs.

Links to an image of the wiring configuration which i believe is the two light circuits, both are connected to the upstairs circuit on the fuse board (not sure if this info makes a difference), and the smart switch i'm using.

I am totally baffled... thanks in advance!

Thumbnails of images added

Image1.jpgImage2.jpg

Last edited:
What do the instructions say about what each terminal function is on your switch?

Can it actually do 2-way switching? Or is it just a 2-gang switch?

Do you understand how a normal manual 2-way switch is wired with the live strappers between switches to allow two-way operation? as you would need to know this to understand what each of the wires at your back box were previously doing.

It may be that your switch cannot actually do two-way operation or
it may be that you have just messed up a permanent live in, switched live out and/or the strappers in an incorrect terminal combination.

( OR it may have been easier just using smart light-bulbs and keeping manual switches? )

We probably need to see copy of the manufactures instructions and the wiring connections onto the other switch to get an accurate idea if its just a crossed wire somewhere?

Having done a search I found this
1725025855846.png
So as previously asked you would need to post how the upstairs switch is connected as this switch does not function as a 2 way switch