2001 rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looked at a minor job today, just adding a light, was told houes was rewired in 2001, nice and easy i thought, got there,

6mm main earth lookes to be tncs,

6mm main bond to gas, after joints so nit picking but the meter is next to cu so not hard to bond in right place,

no water bond,

100 amp cut out

new cu not exacly, them mcb plug in things.

no rcd, 3 circuits electric showerheadbang, 1 ring and 1 light circuit

old colours could be wrong but i thought new colours were about then (prob old stock)

cpc in light circuit but not terminated, all twisted together

was 2001 a bad year for electricians or was this guy just rough,

was this ok back then:|

Doesn;t sound like a rewire. Are you sure it wasn;t just a bit of an update and the customer is using the wrong word?

I was still using old colours in 02\03, wasn't it 04\05 they were finally officially stopped?

he could have got it wrong, may be he had is lights rewired and the mcb put in,

how long has rcd for showers been a reg,

is rough work though,

i cant add to it not without bonding water at least. and thats the other side of the houes he aint going to go for it.

Sounds like an older installation , tarted up with plug-in MCBs ,to me .
arnt these just a wast of time and money

arnt these just a wast of time and money
No. BS3036 fuses are a PITA at best, dangerous at worst. The MCB's are more convenient, easy to upgrade to and generally safer (from an electrical point of view).

the mcb do have 3ka breaking capacity and more convient, but i have seen them for about

The new colours came in with the second amendment in March 2004.

You were allowed to use old or new colours but not both together up untill April fools day in 2006.

RCD's on showers never was a reg.It was down to following the manufacturers instructions until 2008.
its a reg now is it not?

All circuits in a bathroom should now be RCD protected, so in effect yes, but that wasnt what you were asking. :)

All circuits in a bathroom should now be RCD protected, so in effect yes, but that wasnt what you were asking. :)
yer thats part of what i was asking, i could be a little more clear:D

No because you cannot have one 30mA rcd to cover whole installation.
this was debated the other day, i got the impresion that for 3 circuits it would not matter, of course 3 rcbo would be better

Wasnt it just :D

You shouldnt have a 30mA RCD protecting the entire installation and the easiest way to avoid this is RCBO's.

No. BS3036 fuses are a PITA at best, dangerous at worst. The MCB's are more convenient, easy to upgrade to and generally safer (from an electrical point of view).
Stuart, I understand most of the abreviations but not sure what PITA is - could you enlighten me please (I get the meaning just want the wording).

I went to house last year where guy had just bought it from a "developer" and it had been fully "rewired" well knew c/u with no RCD - could have been under 16th but should have rcd on downstairs sockets as they use the lawnmower on them, 1 sockets radial for entire house except kitchen wired mostly in 2.5mm off a 32A mcb the bits of the circuit that weren't 2.5 were 1.5 in the c/u where the 2.5 bent over after leaving the mcb to come out of the bottom of the c/u it was turning brown (was old red core) where it was over heating- must have run out of 2.5 so used what was left of the cable bought for the lighting circuit, no bonding to gas or water and they were getting shocks off the sink. They had already had another guy in to put some extra sockets in the kitchen, he had RCD'd the kitchen ring properly but hadn't picked up on the lack of bonding etc. No certs to be seen and the kitchen electrician hadn't even left an invoice or anything he was just a number out of the paper so totally untracable!! How do these people sleep at night??

I put in a price to put it all right and made it a really rock bottom price as the owners had been done and were really struggling for money and I felt a bit sorry for them and had nothing else on but never heard anything back, probably still like that now!

i know these abreviations are a pain in the arse;)

Latest posts