3 to 1 connection advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn Robson

Reaction score
I'm replacing a bedroom light that has 3 Philips bulbs in, this 3 different bulb holders, to a new led ceiling light which has the usual Pos, Neg and Earth connectors.
My problem is that the original lights are mixed as shown on the attached photos. ie they have both Pos + Neg wires joined. As can be seen, the wires have been extended from those shown above the yellow tape.
Obviously I know where the Earth wire goes and I'm guessing that all I have to with the blue and brown wires (black and yellow above the tape) is to just use a single wire from each of them to put in the new connectors and disregard the rest.

IMG20230729153901.jpg
IMG20230729153910.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly they are not positive and negative, they are Live and neutral
Did you take a pic and make note of the connections BEFORE removal of the fitting?
OR was there one lamp connected to each of the 3 pairs you have twisted together?
Each of the pairs of twisted wire were attached to a single light socket. There were 3 sockets on the fixture. Naturally each of the twisted pairs had one blue wire to one side of the socket input, and a brown wire to the other connector with a common earth to the main fixture metalwork.
I've thought this through while laid in bed with the light disconnected and it seems to me that if I take the wires above the tape independently so that I slot the black wires both into the hole on the new fixture with the Blue input, then a single yellow wire into the hole with the brown input that leaves the centre hole for earth. It seems to fit my understanding that on a 3 slot connection there's a live and neutral at each end and earth in the middle.

I would be concerned about what is above the light fitting. In you first photo there appears to be some more cables above the ceiling? im guessing the yellow is just a fly lead from another connector? if this is UK you should have either a red or a brown as your line conductor.

Sounds right. All that has been done is one wire has been split into three in those tape joints
That's what it was. It just took a while to sink in. As it wasn't connected by bedtime on the evening I lay there and it was right above the bed so I sorted things in my aged brain.
The new LED light with remote and various light intensity as well as On/Off is fantastic.
Thanks again to all on this topic

Latest posts