303 exam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
went to college yesterday to get my results for 303 written that i did last week.the tutor having told us we'd get our results on weds revealed that he has'nt marked all the papers and so won't give out any of the results he has got.i work in london and live in luton.the college is located in over 3 years watford,apsley then hemel so not exactly convenient for me.this is just typical of my college.i've been going to this f*****g place for 3 years 2 nights a week and every single year there has been nothing but fob offs and problems.plus on top of this the tutor told us that so far in what he's been bothered to mark there have been 2 fails and 2 credits everyone else has scraped a pass.i've been told 303 is easier than 302 in which i got a distinction.sorry to rant and rave on this forum but seriously anyone going to or thinking of going to west herts college. DON'T. it's ****

:coat

Oh, sorry to hear that..

:eek:

I must confess when I went back to college a few years ago, I felt 100% confident with the tutor..

Like any profession, you can get your naff staff..

:(

It just seems to be that the training for the electrical industry (2330 especially) is generally going down the pan really. Mix of the quality if the students doing the course, the morale of the lecturer teaching, and the ever changing standards of the City & Guilds.

AndyGuiness Drink

Tell me about it. in the first year we had a brilliant tutor.quite an old boy but he took you through things step by step and every body got it.then one day he'd just dissapeared cos he couldn't be bothered with the 16 year olds on the day courses f'ing about in his lessons like they were still in school.so then we got some other guy who was in the trade but did'nt have a clue how to teach and so we spent the next 4 weeks doing earthing and bonding.then just did mock exam papers till the test. the second year the college moved to this pucker new place especially built for plumbing,electrical installtions and mechanics.but for the first 2 weeks no tools.then we got some tutor who again didn't have a clue how to teach as it was his first year doing it and again nothing learnt in theory lessons.only got through the exams cos i stuck my head in a coulple of books.this year the course moved again to some close to derelict s***hole where the practical lab is tiny and the classes are overcrowded.i'm expected to do a fault finding practical and an inspecting and testing practical exam when there's 3 test boards of each ,and i'm battling 21 other people to try and use one for half a lesson a week.i haven't even seen an RCD tester or an ELZ tester and i was told yesterday that's part of the 302 exam.to top it all off when i went to the college for my original interview i was told i'd be walking away with "everything i'd need to be an electrician".then you find out 2 years into the course that you need to do a regs exam and a testing exam 2391 and an NVQ for a year.there was a saying a few years ago NVQ meant Not Very Qualified as it was for people too stupid to get into college so since when has it become so important?????

should have trained to be a plumberX(

Made I started out in 1998 on the old timers 2360 course. We had to do a basic selection test, nowt really if you have a bit of nouse to you. We had 7 students in the class. I was doing 2.5 days a week at the time, One half of the first two days were practical lessons (3 hours a week on 2330), and the other half of the 2 days was on theory lessons. Then electronics on the half day for the Part 1 exam. Whenever we did practical lessons we were encouraged to ask why rather than how we learnt to do a specific task. On the theory side of things, we had to do all of our own notes, none of the 2351/2330 way of having all notes in front of you to read. I personally learnt more from making my own notes than reading ready prepared notes. Another thing that we have now is multichoice exams. I prefer having the written exams to prove what you have learnt from your notes.

AndyGuiness Drink

On the theory side of things, we had to do all of our own notes, none of the 2351/2330 way of having all notes in front of you to read.
I did it in the days between the 2360 and the 2330. I can assure you that we had to make our own notes for the 2351. I got a Distinction in every unit except Electrical Principles, in which I got a Credit.

But I would definitely agree with you that taking your own notes is the best way to learn it.

Well the 2351 was basically laughed at by people within the electrical industry as you could only become a registered JIB spark and no more. Rist I did the part one of the 2351 on the first year of its launch, and I did actually have prepped notes (this might be down to individual colleges). The 2 reasons why I didnt like 2351 is theat for 1, the quality of the output had dropped significantly, and 2, there was no third year on the course when I took it.

Andy Guiness Drink

Must say our tutor for 2330 this year has been brilliant, finished level 2 in less than a year, now were just using the remaining lessons to practice inspection & testing both dead and live also a bit of basic fault finding ready for level 3. Problem now is that he might not be taking us for level 3 and some of the other tutors i wouldnt trust to put batteries into a remote control..

Applaud Smileymate wot can i say summed up a treatApplaud Smiley

as for the legend that was old bill scanes ;)

as for mr 2 grand on the hip my cat had more of a clue, X(

as for me glad its over next week:|

or am i?

i could be the stig;\

I Just done my 303 written exam tonight , hopefully did ok I attend Tresham and to be fair has been ok and you do get plenty of prep for the exam . Hope your results are what you are looking for ... I need a drink now !!Guiness Drink

to be honest admin i can't remember the paper number/letter.i want to say E but that would be a complete guess.

Must say our tutor for 2330 this year has been brilliant, finished level 2 in less than a year, now were just using the remaining lessons to practice inspection & testing both dead and live also a bit of basic fault finding ready for level 3. Problem now is that he might not be taking us for level 3 and some of the other tutors i wouldnt trust to put batteries into a remote control..
yeah the tutors are just too inconsisted.one of our tutors works for the NICEIC and he knows the regs book inside out and to be honest is really good and according to him when you finish level 3 C+G you're considerd to be a competant person and can go out there and do inspecting and testing etc. our other tutor is french or italian and his english is pretty broken so you spend half the lesson trying to translate what he's saying into something understandable.

i honestly can't say whether he knows his stuff or not because every overhead he shows and every lesson he's given could be read out of a book or off the college web****e.

cheers megohm. i'll be happy to pass but the lowest i've got in all the exams so far from 1st year till now is a credit so i'd like to keep that up.

just spoke to tutor got a pass. better than a fail i guess. 302 practical on tuesday and i'm done!

then :coat then Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

The questions were mostly related to fault finding and rectification , safe isolation and what paper work you need to fill out for p i r's and minor works . there was also a question relating to naming the correct test instrument and it's ranges and even a small calculation concerning a ring final circuit and what could cause high resistance readings at some sockets, all good stuff as usual . just the fault finding practical in july to go