5 Way Armored Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will not allow the armour to be used as a suitable earth conductor, If an existing cable is fitted that is not 5 core you have to run a separate earth of the same size cpc as the cores in order to comply. This is of course for three phase distribution. Pointless running five core for any single phase!!
I've read recently on the internet that it is OK to use 5 core for 3 phases, a common neutral for the 3 separate 3ph circuits, via a 3 pole breaker, and a cpc apparently it is all hunky dory to do this...

Goodness knows, I don't at this stage, but there seem to be many that say it's OK!

The jury is out IMHO & I believe I can find loads of reasons why not!...

Wouldn't that be 3 seperate  SINGLE phase circuits Sidey ?     In which case it 'd be OK .. no different to a 3 ph board with all single ph circuits really. 

So the 5 core   ( Sorry 5 way)  could be either 3ph+N+E    or , I guess,  a load of single ph stuff using the same neutral.

Yes Deke, it would be single!

A lot of heated debate went on about this I can tell you.

I think it is wrong as the N would not be adequately protected.

Unless you have a known fixed load.

Anyway I digress. Nothing new one could say.

What's this about eddies in the SWA? if using it as a CPC there shouldn't be any current flowing except when a fault occurs.

As to Neutral, nothing wrong with a N being the same size as the phase conductors in a 3 phase system.  I'm old enough to remember when it was common to have a N smaller than phase conductors.

No eddies in the SWA PD, as you say only current flow in the case of a fault.

Still not convinced about 3 off 1ph final circuits of unknown load sharing a neutral, as this would assume that then N current is sinusoidal & 120 deg out of phase.

Yes PD there were 1/2 size N conductors, but the DNO's are now ripping them out as they are burning out, and I know of a few around here in public buildings that have burned out too.

Last edited by a moderator:
No eddies in the SWA PD, as you say only current flow in the case of a fault.

Still not convinced about 3 off 1ph final circuits of unknown load sharing a neutral, as this would assume that then N current is sinusoidal & 120 deg out of phase.

Yes PD there were 1/2 size N conductors, but the DNO's are now ripping them out as they are burning out, and I know of a few around here in public buildings that have burned out too.
Come across this myself.

Three Phase Neutral and Internal Earth although the Armoured is sufficient for earth unless your glanding off into plastic. Then you will want that internal earth.

Canoeboy said:
Why can you not earth the SWA in a plastic box ?

Just thinking......
Well it's a beautiful sunny day, sat in garden.

so I thought I would promote some stimulating debate and do this through the medium of music and dance!

heels off, handbags in the middle, and......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
Canoeboy said:
Why can you not earth the SWA in a plastic box ?

Just thinking......

so I thought I would promote some stimulating debate and do this through the medium of music and dance!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=duelling+banjos+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Last edited by a moderator:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=duelling+banjos+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GeorgieP is back and I want her to keep her heels on,  ]:)