5kw Pv inverter but 3.6kw battery inverter is this right?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark S

Reaction score
I’m trying to clarify some concerns on my solar and battery installation. To me they have the inverter ratings the wrong way round.
The system was supposed to have a 5kw hybrid inverter but they split the two to give better solar performance due to shade on some panels.
I now have an inverter that is not man enough to cover demand when cooking and a solar inverter that could potentially deliver more energy than my battery inverter can push to the batteries, or do I my understanding wrong?
I have 17kw of battery and charge them overnight in cheap rates.
Any thoughts would be most helpful

I’m trying to clarify some concerns on my solar and battery installation. To me they have the inverter ratings the wrong way round.
The system was supposed to have a 5kw hybrid inverter but they split the two to give better solar performance due to shade on some panels.
I now have an inverter that is not man enough to cover demand when cooking and a solar inverter that could potentially deliver more energy than my battery inverter can push to the batteries, or do I my understanding wrong?
I have 17kw of battery and charge them overnight in cheap rates.
Any thoughts would be most helpful
The title of the thread doesn't sound right. I think you may be misunderstanding what you've been told. Inverters for solar usually have 2 inputs for Solar energy, it's advantageous to split the array of panels into two, especially if some are subject to shading. It sounds like that's what has been done which is good.
Could you give some details of the inverter installed, make / model etc, so that we can comment further with reference to batteries.

that makes no sense unless both inverters are hybrid and have panels connected to them.

Ok. I gave a 5.0kw solaredge pv inverter. All panels have compensators fitted to maximise output.
I have a 3.6kw Solax ac1 inverter connected to my batteries.
The solaredge figures can be picked up from the meter2 on the Solax inverter. It appears that all solar energy comes into the house via the Solax inverter as It shows all the energy the solaredge app reports, give or take! But there may well be other reasons this shows up in this way. I force charge the batteries and try to guess my leccy usage so that the battery never quite fills. Otherwise the excess goes to grid. Something I try to avoid!

Ok. I gave a 5.0kw solaredge pv inverter. All panels have compensators fitted to maximise output.
I have a 3.6kw Solax ac1 inverter connected to my batteries.
The solaredge figures can be picked up from the meter2 on the Solax inverter. It appears that all solar energy comes into the house via the Solax inverter as It shows all the energy the solaredge app reports, give or take! But there may well be other reasons this shows up in this way. I force charge the batteries and try to guess my leccy usage so that the battery never quite fills. Otherwise the excess goes to grid. Something I try to avoid!
So why didn't they fit a solaredge battery? At a guess cost, but seems daft to have twin inverter set-up on a new installation, or was the battery fitted later?

Either way a 3.6kw inverter for 17kw of batteries seems underspecced

Last edited:
So why didn't they fit a solaredge battery? At a guess cost, but seems daft to have twin inverter set-up on a new installation, or was the battery fitted later?

Either way a 3.6kw inverter for 17kw of batteries seems underspecced
I keep being told they upgraded me by fitting the solaredge inverter but I get more benefit from the batteries and so dropping to 3,6kw on that feels more like a downgrade.

I keep being told they upgraded me by fitting the solaredge inverter but I get more benefit from the batteries and so dropping to 3,6kw on that feels more like a downgrade.
what did the quote you for in the first place? Solaredge is certainly an upgrade on general Chinese inverters like Solis and Solax.

MyEnergi ZAPPI seems to be the weapon of choice when solar is involved along with EDDI dumping excess energy into the immersion heater. They both work really well and easy to setup.
I'm just starting out with Home Assistant having spent a few months trialling sensors etc.
MyEnergi ZAPPI seems to be the weapon of choice when solar is involved along with EDDI dumping excess energy into the immersion heater. They both work really well and easy to setup.
I'm just starting out with Home Assistant having spent a few months trialling sensors etc.
I love it. I set the battery force charge level each night based on a calculation from a solar prediction to set the levels my batteries charge to. I also fit banks of wifi wall switches so I can use the extra switches to turn off leds, table lamps etc without needing to have the app. Works better with people who don’t have automation!
what did the quote you for in the first place? Solaredge is certainly an upgrade on general Chinese inverters like Solis and Solax.
yes it was Solax originally, but then they realised having solar panels on the front and the back of the house would mean some would always be in shade and so changed the install so I’d get near their predicted production.

If you have some shading issues then solaredge is the best option. I'm still surprised they didn't go down the solaredge battery route, but parts availability is currently difficult.

Latest posts