60amp main fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gozzer66

Reaction score
a friend of mine lives in a large detached house, the main fuse is 60 amp, the fuse has blown and the cut out is not sealed. I know that the electricity provider is responcible for this equipment but is it okay to just replace the fuse? I have bought a 60 amp fuse,( i thought you could only get them from the leccy board) The mains tails are 25mm, would it be okay to put an 80 amp fuse in as this is the 2nd time it has blown. The house was extended to double its size about 10 years ago and im wondering if they forgot to increase the fuse size. Thoughts please.

if they forgot to increase it? was they informed about the additional load?

At this point i woulod say no and contact the leccky

it may be 60amp for a reason because of limits of what the dno can supply

others may disagree

The house was extended to double its size about 10 years ago and im wondering if they forgot to increase the fuse size. Thoughts please.
Perhaps they didn;t forget, perhaps no-one asked or perhaps that's the maximum the supply cables can handle.

Now changing DNO fuses is not always a great idea if you don;t know what you're doing (they are just fuses BTW, dunno why the DNO would have their own special secret ones) and asking if you can just stick an 80A in is defintiely not a question that needs to be asked. This is basic stuff, if a fuse keeps blowing you don;t just stick a bigger one in to solve the symptom of a problem.

Contact the DNO, get them to come out and replace the fuse and also mention the supply problem and let them upgrade the fuse size if they can or if not then get the supply upgraded.

the fuse is to protect their cable, not yours. it may well be that their cable can only handle 60A, and going over that could cause damage or fire. you should contact DNO on their emergency number and they will replace fuse, and possibly with a higher rating if possible

her boiler is out of action so she has been using electric heaters, the fuse went when a lot of appliances and the shower were on. will contact DNO .

I probably would change it to get them out of trouble but you should not do this unless you know what you are doing ie isolate all consumer units.They probably will need head changing to upgrade to 100 amp which is a Dno problem. How many heaters has she got on? When she gets boiler fixed 60 amp will probably be fine again.

wrap it in foil this will help the fuse handle the extra load ..........

no i am not serious......

deffo a dno problem and definately upgrade to 80/100.

some good advise shame i had to go spoil it .. :)

wrap it in foil this will help the fuse handle the extra load .......... no i am not serious......

deffo a dno problem and definately upgrade to 80/100.

some good advise shame i had to go spoil it .. :)
As always.

:D

Yes, I would (and have done this myself) give the DNO a ring and ask them for an upgrade.

If yours are anything like mine - they will only upgrade to 80A. They did; however, have to change to whole Cutout, because of the age.

They were pretty quick coming out too.

They maybe quicker in your case as you said this is the second time it has happened. I assume the DNO changed it the first time round?

awwww boys ... be gentle please ..... i am only a wee boy with big ideas . :)

My supply company upgraded my main fuse to 80A and fitted a dp switch . they usually only upgrade to a 80A fuse from a 60A unless there was storage heaters in place then it would be a 100A fuse . Always best to check with DNO about upsizing main fuse . Guinness