6mm T&E

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the case that 6mm T&E from a while back would have had the same size CPC as the L & N conductors? All I know is that the cable is pre 1987. Basically I've fitted a new induction hob and as I can't physically get to the cable to check along it's length I tested it - I would have anyway but have had rat issues. It will be replaced eventually but I have to go with it for now. I've no exact length (guessing circa 12m) either but that can be calculated I know. Any comments appreciated.

Results as follows:

For continuity using the long lead "Method 2" I first checked the cpc. Accounting for the long lead resistance I got 0.04ohms end to end. Same for the L & the N. For R1+R2 I then connected the CPC and L at the CU with a connector block and tested at the CCU getting 0.08ohms. Says to me that the cpc is the same size. I know someone's going to say "vernier" but my digital one is playing silly beggars).

On a TT BTW.

IR was >999Mohms between all 3 conductors

Zs at the CCU was L/PE, 35A/6.5ohms then L/N 623A/0.37ohms

Ze (Zd according to my manual)with the main earth disconnected was L/N 0.31ohms/745A then L/PE 79.3ohms/3A

RCD 30mA: x1/2, no trip / 0deg 26.8ms / 180deg 36.2ms / x5 0deg 7.5ms / x5 180deg 12.6ms / Ramp 24.2ms

does it look like its the same size?

Ive never seen or heard of 6mm T&E with a 6mm cpc.

Im guessing you disconnected the cpc at both ends to try and eliminate parrallel paths.

does it look like its the same size?Ive never seen or heard of 6mm T&E with a 6mm cpc.

Im guessing you disconnected the cpc at both ends to try and eliminate parrallel paths.
Yep, L,N & E hanging out both ends and long lead between! Imperial maybe?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:38 ----------

BTW ALL conductors, L,N & E are 7-strand............

Yep, L,N & E hanging out both ends and long lead between! Imperial maybe?---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:38 ----------

BTW ALL conductors, L,N & E are 7-strand............
this is going to sound like a load of twaddle, but bear with me

I take an educated guess/wild stab in the dark at the csa of the strands

do they look lik 1mm or a bit less?

if they look like 1mm then the earth csa is probably 6mm [as likely as Posh Spice getting a number 1 solo single, or an errant Maths Teacher going home to his wife... :innocent ]

If they look smaller than 1mm then the earth csa is probably 4mm [ as likely as it going dark before tomorrow]

If however the cable is imperial then.......dunno, you are on your own

If you've been testing at both, ends, surely you can see the CPC? or have I missed something? For what it's worth todays theory is that L and N connections in cooker switch may be alittle worn giving a sightly higher resistance and making CPC appear to be similar size. I could of course be talking twaddle.

maybe they've been TN-C-s ed ... terrible notes combined to be separated later :coat

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:41 ----------

ere, my posts are disappearing aswell, and it was liked by Steps - are your posts contagious Steps:^O

there goes another one.! :slap

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:08 ----------

I aske3d was the OP sure it was T&E and not duplex?