A few pictures

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Just a few pictures from a few recent jobs.

First up is a termination of an LED driver, probably not too unusual for a DIYer or builder special, but this was in a recent development of 9 flats, which is 5 years old and due for first EICR. The electrical contractors stickers are proudly displayed on the boards, and they are a local firm who are a NICEIC approved contractor. I took four fittings down in different rooms and they are all like this, so all 14 will be. Its the second one of the 9 I've done an EICR on, the other one had similar amounts of brown and blue showing, but the CPCs were sleeved and jointed through on the outside of the fitting with a connector block. I've got another one to do this week, It's going to be the same as one of the two I'm sure. I feel a bulk order of click flow connectors is going to be necessary by the time I've finished!

CPC.jpg

Next up, another issue on an EICR, This must be about the worst degraded SY cable I've seen for a long time. Shouldn't be in any fixed wiring installations, but definatly shouldn't be outdoors!, I'm not sure why aircon installers love it so much, almost as much as production maintenance guys do (You can tell when they have installed a cirucit back to a DB, its in SY, wavy all over the wall with an occasional compressed air line cleat and with the incorrect make breaker jammed in the board!)

SY1.jpgSY2.jpg

And finally not an electrical fault been doing some work in a theatre, they've got a tension wire grid fitted for high level access, I had to get to some of the emergency twin spot units the other day. Even though you know its perfectly safe, its a hard thing to get over the initial fear respose and step out onto a wire grid that deflects as you walk on it and that you can see the ground 10m below through!, Once you have got past that and become aclimitised to walking on it, it feels like an interesting surreal expeience, like almost walking in mid air with nothing below!

TWG.jpg

And finally not an electrical fault been doing some work in a theatre, they've got a tension wire grid fitted for high level access, I had to get to some of the emergency twin spot units the other day. Even though you know its perfectly safe, its a hard thing to get over the initial fear respose and step out onto a wire grid that deflects as you walk on it and that you can see the ground 10m below through!, Once you have got past that and become aclimitised to walking on it, it feels like an interesting surreal expeience, like almost walking in mid air with nothing below!
I would have to lay boards on there; then I would probably crawl along them.

I would have to lay boards on there; then I would probably crawl along them.

At first I thought I needed a board in front of the light to kneel on while I worked at it, I think the theatre tech thought it was a little odd, but said "Theres a wooden board in the room with at the side with the Bench" Turns out they were right, it really isn't very usful to do that...., the faff of trying of carrying out the board, laying it down and getting on it, while while it probably wobbles anyway as its resting midway on the steel support beam was pointless. Ended up putting it away after the first fitting its just as easy to make sure your kneepads are sitting in the right place and then just kneel on the grid, also means you can keep a look out for anyone who is daft enough to wander directly under the work area!.....Then after being on it for a bit, you start to be able to walk across it without trying to instinctivly reach out for the lighting bars and then you find yourself walking directly across it to where you need to be be, rather than walking around on the perimeter gantry to take the shortest route to it.