About to start apprenticeship

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.............Hows it going KW ?
Its brilliant thanks. Loving it.

2nd week was a bit slow,the bloke I was supposed to be with was on holiday so ended up with someone else who was a pain in the arse. He spent most of his time criticising me and talking to me like sh*t so spent alot of time biting my tongue for that week.

But its all good now, and still really glad I got into this trade. Really enjoy it.

I served my time with a large industrial contractor GREAT TIMES you will get some stick but just work hard,turn up on time and like the guys say learn from the sparks and don,t be afraid to ask questions. you will have some good laughs working away etc GOOD LUCK

Well done for getting your apprenticeship . Be prepared for the odd wind up ! it's part of your initiation into working life and We've all been through it . You seem very keen to learn and I'm sure you will go far . Listen to what you are told and if not sure ASK !! It will show that you are taking things seriously and as mentioned before about mobile phones , A big no no to keep texting your mates when your mentor wants to crack on with the job . The work is very interesting and you will go on to earn good money . Just stick it out and good luck to you mate .. ;)

Its brilliant thanks. Loving it.2nd week was a bit slow,the bloke I was supposed to be with was on holiday so ended up with someone else who was a pain in the arse. He spent most of his time criticising me and talking to me like sh*t so spent alot of time biting my tongue for that week.

But its all good now, and still really glad I got into this trade. Really enjoy it.
Ah they're still around are they , bloody prairie hats , wonder what his problem is ? Don't let it get to you . Glad you are enjoying it , thats how it should be , keep us updated.

Deke

Trial period over. I think it must be a formality that they put on letters to cover themselves, as I seemed to be the only person who knew about it!

Been a good 3 months though, have enjoyed thoroughly and learned plenty. Ill treat myself to a few more tools now I know I definately have a job!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Some very good advise given already. I would like to add.

1. Do not wander off

2. Do not play about with any lads you meet, messing about is one of my pet hates.

3. Never do anything unless you are told or given permission to.

4. Never take any criticism to heart, most sparkies will want their fun.

5. Stand up for yourself and never allow yourself to be bullied.

6. Never try to bull**** you will be caught out.

7. Always remember Electricity kills, always respect your enemy.

8. Enjoy the experiance, this job can be fun when your working with a group of good lads.

9. Listen to what your told, and if you do not understand ask again.

10. Keep us all informed on your progress and any questions ask away.

I was going to add some more but I quite like the 10 commandments :)

Trial period over. I think it must be a formality that they put on letters to cover themselves, as I seemed to be the only person who knew about it!Been a good 3 months though, have enjoyed thoroughly and learned plenty. Ill treat myself to a few more tools now I know I definately have a job!

That will teach me to keep up, I posted in reply to your first post and I caught up 3 months after :)

Trial period over. I think it must be a formality that they put on letters to cover themselves, as I seemed to be the only person who knew about it!Been a good 3 months though, have enjoyed thoroughly and learned plenty. Ill treat myself to a few more tools now I know I definately have a job!

Glad its worked out for you.

Stay on board KW , I think you are the only apprentice on the Forum . ( You may be the only Apprentice in Britain TBH) By the way , have they registered you with the JIB ?
I've been told so. No JIB card as of yet though, have been chasing them up about that. Im on the JIB wage though.

Sounds like its in hand, unless things have changed over the years, they should register you with them , you receive a card showing the date your apprenticship started .

The grading system had just coming into force when I started , Trainee, Apprentice, Electrician, Approved Electrician and Technician .

When you changed firm ,which was common then, the card guaranteed you were paid the proper rate.

Alrite guys, just to let you know, Im starting college in September 13th.Problem is, my toolbag is a Stanley tote so cant lock it up and is slightly heavy despite not having that many tools in and obviously you cant lock it up. Do you think it would be worth forking out on this to use for college: http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-1631-Technicians-Tool-Rucksack/dp/B000XJ5DVY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1283364563&sr=1-3-spell.
I never seen one of those bags before?

How many tools have you got to fit in it?

Any cheaper basic plastic boxes available from B&Q or similar???

:|

Hey guys.

Got my 201 exam on friday. Does anyone know where i can find a list of the statutory and non statutory regulations? As this is the only thing im not 100% with yet.

KWCFC,

Big Q.

Think they are angling at 7671 - non, EAWR - stat, PUWER98 - stat.

Any STATUTE law, e.g. Statutory Instruments - SI's - statute.

Think law passed by parliament.

Non stat - guidance and codes of practice - e.g. 7671.

There are loads though.

Yeah thought it might of been an open ended question, sorry about that.

So I'm right in saying that any regs with codes included such as 7671 should be considered non statutory?