Adding A Second External Bellbox (Reson8) To Existing System.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garry5656

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone advise me on a small problem I have? I have added a second external ADE Reson8 bellbox to my house alarm. The internal panel is an Optima Compact 8EP396A & this is connected to an external Vortex II bellbox. I have wired the second Reson8 as per the ADE wiring diagram for adding an extra bellbox. All works fine except for the fact the siren does not sound on the second bellbox when an alarm is actjvated. The strobe flashes on activation. Does this mean the Vortex II is not compatible & that I have to replace it with a Reson8? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have no personal experience of any of the brand of equipment you mention, but if you take it back to basics often the problem is found.

1) Can you make the new siren work from the other end of its cable?

If its cable comes back to the panel you should be able to make the siren operate from there. If it comes from the first siren.....up the ladder you must go.

If you can't you have wired the siren wrong or it has an error

If you can then you have connected it wrong.

For information only:

An external alarm bell box has 4 main connections (5 if it has a strobe, but I am going to ignore it here)

1) +ve 12v (some times called hold off / or supply)

2) -Ve 12v (some times called hold off / or supply)

3) Ringer. This is normally -ve 12v. When 12v -ve is applied the bell / sounder will "ring"

4) Return. (sometimes called tamper, or tamper return) When the bell box is on the wall and all its screws in place this normally sends back 12v -ve to indicate tho the panel that it is still there, so if the bell box is tampered with, this 12v -ve is removed so the panel goes into tamper condition.

Now a little not so obvious but useful fact.

If you momentarily connect the ringer to the return the sounder should operate. This proves that you have 12v at the sounder, the sounder is wired / configured right and that the ringer and return are also working.

Its just a very quick and easy way of finding out have you wired the bell right.