Homemade Christmas Nativity hut lights question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I need help with my grandad's homemade Christmas Nativity hut. He used two 240V AC to 12V DC transformers for the lighting, but they are getting very hot as they are quite old (from the 1990s). Since it's the first Christmas without my grandad, I want to use the Nativity hut in my home this year.

The bulbs are two 12V w5w push-fit car bulbs. I tried using a single transformer, but the light is too dim. The reason that my grandad used two transformers to keep each bulb brighter.

I'm considering using a single 24V DC transformer for both bulbs to keep them bright. Will this be safe, or will it cause the bulbs to blow? I don't want to use LED bulbs because I strongly dislike their rapid flickering that I can see with my naked eyes.

its all about the wattage , the transformer must be a little more than the lamps you are using, this could be why they are getting hot ( to small for the job)
I am not used to car lamps , are they 5Watt each?, then you should use a 12volt 15Watt transformer, 24 volt will just blow the lamp

its all about the wattage , the transformer must be a little more than the lamps you are using, this could be why they are getting hot ( to small for the job)
I am not used to car lamps , are they 5Watt each?, then you should use a 12volt 15Watt transformer, 24 volt will just blow the lamp
Yes the bulb is 5 watts each, and the transformer doesn't show watts max, but it says 1amps.