Adding a shower mcb to CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Minchin

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my bathroom in my 2000 ish built flat. I want to fit a new electric shower. It has not had one before so will need a new feed from the CU

My current CU is plastic and to date has passed EICR tests. There is room for an extra mcb. Is it mandatory to change to a metal CU or just a “nice to have” to change it?

But it does rely on there being RCD protection, and a suitable MCB still being available for the board. Pictures would help

Interesting you have had EICRs and no it’s perfectly acceptable to add a new circuit

But some may suggest a SPD should be added too and the RCD be changed

Interesting you have had EICRs and no it’s perfectly acceptable to add a new circuit

But some may suggest a SPD should be added too and the RCD be changed
Should that be “yes its perfectly acceptable to add a new circuit”?

Yes ive seen comments about no SPD fitted elsewhere but only as suggestions?

Why would RCD need changing? In favour of 10mA one perhaps?

Should that be “yes its perfectly acceptable to add a new circuit”?

Yes ive seen comments about no SPD fitted elsewhere but only as suggestions?

Why would RCD need changing? In favour of 10mA one perhaps?

Well, it depends on how you interpret the regs …..

I’m guessing your CU has type AC RCDs and they are now type A

Also part p applies too

type AC RCD's are still ok for resistive loads, so if you pick a basic shower with no electronics it will be ok.

type AC RCD's are still ok for resistive loads, so if you pick a basic shower with no electronics it will be ok.
Very true, but looking at the bigger picture your not going to find a property now that has only resistive loads.

Led lamps, microwaves, washing machines in fact most appliances will generate dc leakage so it's more than likely a new rcd would be required.