advertising

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi, as i have only recently gone self employed i was wondering how most people advertise for work etc? my work so far comes from recomendations from customers i have completed work for.

heard not to waste my time with yell, or yellow pages. currently having a website designed.

heard leaflets convert only roughly 2% for every 2000

so im open to any advice on best ways to advertise

Hi switch 10 .any local free newspapers /journals around your area...lots of domestic customers tend to use their ads for tradesmen if its domestic youre interested in.

cheers a1 spark, yeah theres a few around my area, got a failry decent commercial client base for fire alarm works, so yeah looking to expand on the domestic electrical side of it now. will take a look at prices

People still look at Yellow pages , Switchy, but it is believed that people start at A-B-C and the eye is caught by the medium sized, boxed ads, not good if you are in the X-Y- Zs.

So free papers and/or your local paper .

Forget fliers ,they fly straight into the recirc box.

Deke

If you haven't already get some good business cards produced and leave a couple with every customer. You can also ask local shops if you can put one in the window or leave them on the counter.

People still look at Yellow pages , Switchy, but it is believed that people start at A-B-C and the eye is caught by the medium sized, boxed ads, not good if you are in the X-Y- Zs. So free papers and/or your local paper .

Forget fliers ,they fly straight into the recirc box.

Deke
when you give yell your details put a * before the name of your company, this comes before any letter or number

When you see a 'SOLD' sign go up outside a house - simply drop a business card through the letter box - or better, an introductory letter. I just got a 3 grand rewire for next week using this method. I find that local people like to stick with local trades.

Papers haven't ever been too good for me but Parish mags work. Mine cost me

thanks, some good advice , taking all ideas on board, dont want to spend loads yet, intill after my NICEIC assessment in september. so will wait till then, however with bills, rent etc to pay need that income coming through

At start up I advertised in the local paper, and also looked at the weekly planning application list on the council website and sent flyers to people doing extensions etc.

I booked my advert in yellow pages at the earliest opportunity, and when that came out I stopped advertising in the local paper.

Now about 1/3 of my work is from yellow pages, 50% from recommendations or previous customers and the rest from a letting agent I know well (he lets my properties for me)

Personally I think choosing a name like AAA1 Electrical services looks cheesy and I ignore those sorts of advert. Just choose a name you like. I use a box display advert.

Don't forget you can sign up for yell.co.uk immediately, no need to wait for the printed yellow pages. Even if you are not paying for an advert there, you really must sign up for your free one line entry on there straight away.

Iv just started on my own not so long ago bout 3 months. Yell & yellow pages are OK not great i only have little jobs like fit a light etc. Iv put posters in shop windows and had a few phone calls from that.Iv sent out letters for local planing about 50 or so had nowt from that yet. Iv had couple of calls from free directories but mostly sales calls.I would say try and get in with a builder or get friendly with other trades. my mates a plasterer and iv had abit of work from him.

Anyone got their van sign written? Does it work?

thanks peeps

Iv just started on my own not so long ago bout 3 months. Yell & yellow pages are OK not great i only have little jobs like fit a light etc. Iv put posters in shop windows and had a few phone calls from that.Iv sent out letters for local planing about 50 or so had nowt from that yet. Iv had couple of calls from free directories but mostly sales calls.I would say try and get in with a builder or get friendly with other trades. my mates a plasterer and iv had abit of work from him. Anyone got their van sign written? Does it work?

thanks peeps
Yes and yes.

Van write.JPG