Advise on Solar, Battery installation.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RST

Reaction score
Looking for advise and help for a solar and battery installed April 2021.
I accepted a quotation which included removal of a unused roof light and a solar array in 3 banks also 2 batteries. We were sold on the idea of selling unused energy back to the grid, location of the internal equipment.
When the installers started the project they refused to remove the roof light, they refused to install the equipment in agreed position(it would take to much work for both items).
The salesman/owner over sold the number of panels and ended up fitting one bank of 4 panels approximately 50mm to the edge of the roof with no additional fixings to my knowledge, now when there is windy weather the panels are making loud banging noises in gust of winds. These panels have also move maybe 25mm on the vertical axis.
I agreed a new location for the internal equipment on the condition that they fit a switch to use the battery when there is a power cut and box the panels in(next to front door). They failed to complete any of these items.
They put a cable over the roof, under the guttering but left the flashing up which was causing water damage and the cable down the front with no cable clip also the small section of cable is sat in the gutter. They have sorted the flashing out and the clip but not the cable in the gutter.
On the initial visit of the salesman who is the owner I asked about birds getting under the panels and was told he as never experienced this problem, now we have two dead pigeons under the panels and more cable in the gutter to the rear of the property.
I have contacted the company repeatedly with promises they will completed and no shows. He was also not registered so we cannot sell the power back to the grid.

Sorry to hear of your problems, you need legal advice, which this forum does not offer.

that's dreadful, I would suggest you contact Trading Standards and any registration body the installer claims to be with. He should at least be registered for the electrical side, although I won't be surprised if you tell me he isn't.

Thank you for the advise and I have come to a similar conclusion.
I would like a recommendation for someone who could do a report on the my system and quotation to put things right, also if possible adopt the system to get the right paperwork to sell the surplus back to the grid.

Thank you for the advise and I have come to a similar conclusion.
I would like a recommendation for someone who could do a report on the my system and quotation to put things right, also if possible adopt the system to get the right paperwork to sell the surplus back to the grid.
You probably won't get anyone to complete the paperwork as there's a bit more to it than just installation.
From what you have discribed the installation is a mess and whilst You may be able to find someone to rectify the problem I doubt they would find this easy.
Trading standards,. Citizen advice. Someone with legal knowledge would be a good starting point imo.

Latest posts