Alarm servicing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a call from an existing customer who wants me to re-commission a security alarm that's been turned off for a number of years.

It's an old key switch type alarm and I doubt that there will be a manual available, but saying that they are a lot simpler than a keypad alarm,,, no user codes or engineer codes!

My thought was that I'd be daft to just go in and replace the batteries and hope all is well, so I guess that I should test a few things, maybe??

So what should I be testing, assuming new panel battery?

Tamper circuit continuity

Door contact resistance

PIR contact resistance

Charging circuit voltage???

As well as SAB operation...

Have I missed anything?? More than likely I have!

Hi,

if its a key panel it probably wont comply with any BS, would suggest swapping the panel out for a compliant one in case the customers insurance company want it.

The only other advice i would offer to your list would be that any bellbox battery/s would be U.S. after such a long time down.

have fun

if it was me i wouldnt power the panel up id swap out for a new system including sirens, check tamper circuits, and also check every pir for working as old pir on power sometimes dont like it and they get spiked. hth

For what it is worth I would power it up as it is and have some fuses ready.You need to find out what works and what doesnt first so why stick a new panel on the sytem before you have checked the rest of it out.

As stated the SAB is probaly us, if it is an old keyswitch sytem probaly a DEAC fitted.Disconnect feed to SAB before powering up so that you do not put any juice to it or you may have to get up to it to disconnect sounder.

Leave the standbye battey disconnected on power up,check charging voltage first.If Pir's work you can then condem the control equipment if you want.

Make a list of what is working first before spending money on new bits.Would definetley recomend a new stanbye battey whatever the out come.

As others have said depends is it domestic or business premises,how far you go and what the customer wants to spen.

Latest posts