alarm systems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

yesterday the guy from next door to the house i was working in came and said the alarm was going off intermittenly throughout the night, the breaker the alarm is on was off as i am working on the circuit, now i suspected that it woul have a battery back up so i said i would take it out, i was about to do it when (before i was near it) it started going off, so i took the battery out, it was still going, i thought there must be a battery in the box out side, anyway, the only way i could get the thing to stop was bu taking out the sounder wire in the box.

would it have gone off due to a low battery?

thanks

also depends on age of battery - they only have a life of around 5 years. but its not normally noticed they are faulty until power failure. the external bellbox usually has a battery in too, so once panel battery is dead, it stops sending a 'hold off' signal to bellbox, so that sounds

few month ago there was a big power cut round this area. few calls through the night and a few more through the day to replace batteries...