Albanian Fitter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a job on Thursday to drop a new supply in for a ramp in a garage. The Albanian fitter had been and fixed the ramp down and assembled\wired all the components. Obviously exposed live wires are how you do it in Albania..... unless he was taking the 'accessible connections' a bit too literally.

(Click for full size (massive))

And the remedy for this cock up? The box on the motor was plastic so a few seconds with a drill and the PG21 hole was able to accept the 20mm flexible conduit gland. Basically laziness on the foreigners part.

I should have also taken a pic of the instructions for the operation of the ramp, proper chinglish, actually comical. Not very safe though as they don;t really follow.

having been to albania briefly I can confirm that bare conductors are the way.

Very strange country, full of uk and italian cars, must dodge some tax or something with them, burning rubbish everywhere and roads just half finnished everywhere.

Lurch,

As an aside in the same vein as the posts I made earlier.

IF the instructions are not comprehensible then the equipment cannot carry the CE mark thus it is illegal to supply the equipment in the UK.

Also it will be illegal to use under PUWER98!

HSE will almost never prosecute the maker as this is too difficult cross border they will go after the UK supplier, installer, and user to get the convictions under UK law if there are any issues.

Lurch,As an aside in the same vein as the posts I made earlier.

IF the instructions are not comprehensible then the equipment cannot carry the CE mark thus it is illegal to supply the equipment in the UK.

Also it will be illegal to use under PUWER98!

HSE will almost never prosecute the maker as this is too difficult cross border they will go after the UK supplier, installer, and user to get the convictions under UK law if there are any issues.
I'd sort of assumed the same myself TBH, but the phrase 'falls on deaf ears' would fit here. There's a button says up, and one that says down, and this ramp was

Turns out no-one can use the ramp anyway as it is pouring hydraulic fluid everywhere, the one end of one pipe was only finger tight and the other end not much tighter, not that tightening them up made much difference as the crimped connection on the end leaks anyway.

Buy cheap, buy twice. I can;t see the point in saving a couple of hundred quid when you're buying something that suspends 4 ton of vehicle over your employees heads, not that I'd want to lift anywhere near the rated limit of it.

Latest posts