Am I 17th edition qualified? I passed my AM2 recently.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't 17th edition qualified mean you've passed the regs exam as in 2382 17th edition wiring regs :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:40 ----------

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Welcome to the forum, Matt - it's good to have you on-board.

I remember this a while ago on here.

Some say that if you did your 2330 levels 2 and 3 at a certain date, you didn't need to do the 2382-10 or 2382-20.

I did mine on 16th edition and 17th edition (on the change) and I had to do the 2382-10 too.

In fact, my tutors were telling "learners" - the PC term for students now - that they had to do the 2382-10 or 2382-20 long after I had finished my courses. (so I have been told).

We had this discussion at college with the lecturer saying that we had "been taught the 2330 based on the 17th". The tester IMO is the job ads - they say for instance "must have 2330, 2391 & 17th" i.e. they specify the 17th. Do the 17th if you can it is open book and I thought it was a doddle. Loads of help on here with past papers etc.

I have been training under 17th edition (18 months into course) but still have been advised to do the 17th Edition course as an additional course, so doing that at moment.

If you have your level 2 2330 to go with your am2 then you will only need to take the 1 day 17th edition course. It's actually not to bad and the exam is a piece of pxss as it's open book!!! I don't know weather you need it or not tbh though

I was told by tutors that I would have to do the 10 one night a week course and would not be able to just sit the exam. Seems silly to me.

I might as well have just sat the exam - I'm pretty sure you can do that. It was originally supposed to be a 4 day course spread over 4 weeks - so time in between to nut up on everything. First day only two of us on the course turned up as it was snowing that heavy. Met the course lecturer who said "Sorry lads were closing the college due to the snow!". He gave us two bundles of past papers to go away with. The next week everyone else turned up and we collectively agreed to still sit the exam on the same day rather than for a lot of us, having to take another day off. The lecturer just gave us bundles of questions to revise from. I revised constantly; on the train, on the loo, (on the job ;) ). Day of the exam and I did 60 questions in 58 minutes and got 98.3%. BUT even having that it's amazing what I don't know and STILL have to ask as I have very little experience. Learning every day!

Last edited by a moderator:
remember, the 17th/2382 is just an exercise in knowing how to read, its a reading test, just like you done at primary school, if you can read you WILL pass.

remember, the 17th/2382 is just an exercise in knowing how to read, its a reading test, just like you done at primary school, if you can read you WILL pass.
Don't forget if you can successfully read it your deemed a competent person :rolleyes:

The official line is, if you've done 2330 lvl 2+3 you are trained to 17th standards and only need to do the 30 question test.