Any offshore electronic technicians members here?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul76

Reaction score
Looking for some advice fella's from anyone employed as an electronics technician in the offshore industry.

I worked for 10 years as an electronics technician. I have an NC, HNC & HND in electronics. I decided i wanted a change and retrained as a gas service engineer and im not enjoying it.

Really looking to get as much info as possible before i started firing off my CV to the oil companys, etc. I have read they are keen to retrain guys from a skilled/technical background to even become instrument tech's.

I am doing my sea survival & MIST within the next few weeks. I have also read about the compex course but unsure what to do about that at this stage of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

Its trying to decide if its worth doing before applying to the oil companys. Maybe they would put me though it?

Its a week of work + 1000 bucks.

I do see offshore electronic tech jobs advertised and they dont ask for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im gonna be honest and i dont have much of an idea at this stage about compex/ATEX but i am researching it and in the best place for it.

It would interesting to find out the pass/fail rate of the compex course and also what standard they expect before starting the course.

Seems to be a lot of electricians that do it and im not. Been out of electronics coming on 3 years.

depends what stage of it you need/want,

I used to have a couple of parts of it,

and it wasnt mega brain blowing, maybe if you do the more tech stuff it gets a lot harder.

Done the course many times as our company insists we do it every 5 years. On the CompEx course, you have to a couple of practicals, a lot of people struggle because they are not comfortable making of Ex rated SWA glands, usually Hawke 501 Universals. Would advise being able to do these in your sleep as it will certainaly help on the day.

If it is the 1st time on the course then there will be a few new concepts and terms to get your head round for example: zones, T classes, gas groups, methods of protection (Exd, Exe, Exi etc.).

If you need any more info on Ex theory give me a shout, I have loads on it.

Thanks for the help guys.

None of the stuff done in the practicals means a thing to me.

Not sure what you mean Paul76. The circuits you have to cable up in the practicals are irrelevent, it is the principles of correctly making of the glands, selecting, IP washers, star washers etc. and the specific wiring principles of Hax Area kit for example IS earthing.

Give me a shout if you ned more info.

Latest posts