Any One Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a customer who has problems with a advanced mx 4000 addressable fire alarm system. Devices kept dropping of the loop and then come back. I carried out some fault finding today, however all 3 loop cards are not being detected by the panel, unfortunately I have no spare loop cards to try to see if they have gone or if the panel mother board has gone. Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have the software? You will have to link up with the panel and do a full diagnostic and reset. If the problem still persists check that the original set up was completed properly, remove each head and re train the system. If that fails then it looks like the system has failed, but is unlikely.

Yes I have the software, have been to the premises again today and wiped system and re installed config from back up on laptop I made, but the panel is stil not recognising the loop cards are fitted so wont find devices installed. Therefore it looks like either all 3 loop cards have gone down or motherboard has gone wrong. Thanks for your advice, appreciate it

Yes I have tried this yesterday, but still no luck, speaking to advanced it seems the 4 loop bas card is faulty, just need to find one now as advanced want to sell a new panel at 1300 which isnt a option for customer at the moment.

Appreciate your advice though nozspark. Thanks

thanks for that sidewinder i have a new base card on order for the system now, however if you would like to take a look at old one to see if its possible to be fixed, then it would be great to have a spare for future use,  if you wanted to send me a message wth address to send part to, and how much you would charge to look at it, plus then once you have seen whats wrong with it let me know how much for repair and i can pay either via bank transfer or cheque if this is something you would be interested in looking at for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No charge for the "look", quote would be provided before any work.

Costs would be + VAT + carriage.

Payment before the job is commenced, the only issue is that we would not have a test rig to run it on, however, IF it is an obvious fault then this is not necessarily an issue.

There would also be a warranty on the repair, obviously, but, it would run from the date of the repair, not the date when you use it!

In other words if you leave the card sitting on the shelf for 3 years then find it has a fault, sorry.

If you fit it straight away, and it does not work, then we will look at it again, no worries.

The only cost to you for warranty stuff, would be for shipping as it is a return to base warranty.

Only trying to be fair and give you an idea of what to expect, so that you enter into any transaction with your eyes open.

If you have any other queries, then please ask, once, if, you are happy, then we can arrange to get it sent in.

im happy with proposal, to be fair, ive got over 30 customers with these panels, so can try it as soon as its returned, and understand payment upfront before any work commences, again this is fine by me and understand exactly what you are saying regarding warranty.

i appreciate your offer to help me, i am removing the old unit on wednesday and could send it any time after that

One last question, I forgot to ask, sorry, not back pedalling, just trying to ensure that I can give you the service all of our customers deserve.

It's not that there is a minimum repair price, but there is a realistic minimum cost for a repair, how much are these boards new?