any tips for working for letting agents?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been speaking to a local letting agent in Brighton and it looks like they are going to start using me for most of their work.

is there anything i need to look out for with letting agents? any particular way you would go about doing things for them? contracts etc?

they are aware I'm not part of any part p scam yet and don't seem to have a problem. i cant see much notifiable work coming up to be honest. or am i wrong?

I'm kinda hoping this might open a few doors for me to start doing more of my own stuff. would be nice to see the back of thieving agencies!

so any tips or advice would be great! :)

Hi mate,

i do a lot of work for several agents and the only problem i have found is that you have to wait for your money because they have to send the invoice off and normally you will get paid when the rents paid by the tenant to the agent, you could be lucky and the rent is paid that week or you could be unlucky and have to wait 4 weeks or so. Would still join a scheme though just so your covered in case problems arise in payment from landlord.

Hi mate,i do a lot of work for several agents and the only problem i have found is that you have to wait for your money because they have to send the invoice off and normally you will get paid when the rents paid by the tenant to the agent, you could be lucky and the rent is paid that week or you could be unlucky and have to wait 4 weeks or so. Would still join a scheme though just so your covered in case problems arise in payment from landlord.
cheers for the reply mate, i will get around to joining but its just time and money at the mo. :(

I normally have a wait of around 6 weeks for money off them.

Depending on what agency it is you can get alot of work from it, may not always be in nice properties but you cant pick and choose.

Use detailed quotes as if the job turns out to be a bit more than first expected, landlords will not always pay the extra and argue with the letting agency. As it could be you that ends up buy materials/ working and not getting paid.

I normally have a wait of around 6 weeks for money off them. Depending on what agency it is you can get alot of work from it, may not always be in nice properties but you cant pick and choose.

Use detailed quotes as if the job turns out to be a bit more than first expected, landlords will not always pay the extra and argue with the letting agency. As it could be you that ends up buy materials/ working and not getting paid.
ok mate, im working on something for doing quotes at the mo.

I would guess that your typical letting agent would be ignoring Part P , especially as there is no Local Building Control involved.

But you raise an intersting question, are properties for let classed as domestic or commercial ?

Opinions below, please.

What if we had an empty house , say, being divided into flats. Is that a commercial enterprise or a domestic job ?
It would come under part p for domestic.

The use of the building is intended for accomodation even if it was for commercial gain.

If its divided into flats it would also come under other regulations under the homes of multiple occupancy.

A fire alarm system and emergency lighting would have to be fitted.

A landlords supply would have to be fitted to power the communial areas for lighting and fire alarm and emergency lighting.

Under part L1 (domestic) all lighting would have to be controlled for energy efficiency in the communial areas ie timed switches for hallways.

I find letting agents are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I do work for a few and mostly things are good

I have learned -

• get the job via email as you can prove what they asked you to do
  • Make sure you take photos of any issues- easier to explain
  • give certs to all concerned

Some landlords seem to think that they don't have to spend a penny, and all will be fine.

It depends on what relationship you have- I have got shot of most of my landlords and have kept one that I trust (and they trust me).

Some are just a pain in the ass and you are better off without the hassle

Friday classic

called to a rented property 2 weeks ago to look at an oven that wasnt reaching temperature.

i had been there before and suggested it replaced as it was past its time,nope was the reply.

told agents them it needed replacing and they needed permission from landlord.

Phone call 1pm friday can u pick it up from Howdens and fit it this afternoon

nope,,got a job to go to in a mo can do it friday...

well, the shocked response i got from them was laughable

Dont give me a 2 hr notice to do a job you could have warned me a few days ago.Monday morning first thing i said

phone call Saturday to say they have got someone else to fit it !!!

oh really,,that will be you then !!!!!!

hope its too big...

thats what we have to deal with....

i dont see how you can work in letted properties without part p and a scheme ????

you cant work in the bathroom/kitchen or outside lighting ..

cant swop a cu if req ?

cant work on the heating circuit.(notifyable)

basically all you can do is minor works out of special location and swop light bulbs and SO`s.

an agency wont ask for the part p because half of them dont even know the rulings or req`s needed to comply.

Please Please see my post about part P I am trying to collate as much information as I can for a detailed report on how part p is being abused and mis-managed.

All these posts will help me complile a more detailed report with facts that can be backed up.

We all know of the abuse of the system but government at the moment think its a success based on the number of bona fide electricians that have signed up for the scheme.

Lets show them its not working as it should be or intended to be.

the same thing is happening in the gas industry,

a landlord has the responsibility to have a safety check every 12 months .. a service is advised at least once a year by corgi/gas safe/ hse etc..

i have never been asked to service an appliance in a landlord property only to check and certify as safe.

a service would be an extra cost obviously so they go for the cheaper option.

end result the property is deemed as safe but the appliance is not serviced.

hense i dont do landlord certs anymore unless they let me service and certify my work .

Cheers for all the response s far!! If I'm changing a cooker in a kitchen and it doesn't require a new circuit / breaker etc, would it just be classed as changing like for like?

Latest posts