Apprentice interview.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For BVT they shouldnt be asking you any questions regarding domestic wiring. Your going to be working on boats.Look up BVT and BAE and have some info about them, reason why you want to be a spark etc etc.

You will have to do your 17th edition while your in there as you dont get it via your apprenticeship which is for 3 years instead of 4. You also dont do a trade test at the end.

Realistically they should be asking you how long you like hiding in the bogs for and are you willing to listen to 60 year olds mumping their gums about how great the Clyde yards used to be.

As thats the way it is in there.

If you get the choice go to Scotstoun over Govan.
Do you mean I will have to go somewhere else after 3 years to do the 17th edition and trade test? Are these usually included in apprenticeships from other companies?

You have kinda put me off from wanting to do my apprenticeship there now. I take it that you have served your time there?

How did it go?????
It went really well imo, think the interviewer was quite impressed by all the information I memerized about the company.There are 39 canidates and 10 positions to fill so 1 in 4 chance really.

I have another 2 interviews lined up in the next couple of weeks, one for the council and another for Scottish and Southern Energy. Hopefully I do well in them.

I have another 2 interviews lined up in the next couple of weeks, one for the council and another for Scottish and Southern Energy. Hopefully I do well in them.
Good Luck. :)

Do you mean I will have to go somewhere else after 3 years to do the 17th edition and trade test? Are these usually included in apprenticeships from other companies?You have kinda put me off from wanting to do my apprenticeship there now. I take it that you have served your time there?
Your apprenticeship doesnt give you a 17th edition qualification.

At the end of the 3 years they say you are "time served", you dont have to do a final trade test like you do in the mainstream apprenticeships. The final trade test and college in the other apprenticeship gets you a 17th edition qualification.

If you get a choice between doing your apprenticeship with a company other than BVT then take it as you will learn more, have better qualifications and in the third/4th year of your apprenticeship be earning more money than a "tradesman" in BVT.

I never served my time there, I had the misfortune of working in their as a Sub COntractor last year. Full of idiots who dont have a clue on terrible wages. They didnt like the fact we were earning double what they were.

It went really well imo, think the interviewer was quite impressed by all the information I memerized about the company.There are 39 canidates and 10 positions to fill so 1 in 4 chance really. I have another 2 interviews lined up in the next couple of weeks, one for the council and another for Scottish and Southern Energy. Hopefully I do well in them.
If you get offered all 3, personally you should go for Scottish and Southern Energy and push to get into the HV side of things.

The council you could actually end up working in BVT when things are slow as they have a tie up weirdly enough.

Its not looking too good:(

Got put on a reserve list for BVT, didn't get the one for the council and I am still waiting for a reply from SSE. If I don't get the SSE one I might have to think about a change in career path:O

Its not looking too good:(Got put on a reserve list for BVT, didn't get the one for the council and I am still waiting for a reply from SSE. If I don't get the SSE one I might have to think about a change in career path:O
Keep plugging away and dont give up, you will regret it if you give up at the first hurdle.

Hopefully you get something.

Could still start the college courses come September and keep plugging away at the apprenticeship front.

Theres still hope yet:p Been offered a placement with a company which basically means if I do well they will take me on as an apprentice. Start tomorrow morning can't wait! Its a company called Weir and McQuiston, anyone heard of them before?