arching neutral cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edeg24

Reaction score
Got a power circuit powered OFF

but the neutral cables still arching and sparking can some one tell me why this happens??

Loose connection? Dust and other forwign objects?

What circuit are we taking of here?

Dependant on which Neutral it is, will vary the advice on whether to call an electrician, DNO or your energy supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a power circuit powered OFFbut the neutral cables still arching and sparking can some one tell me why this happens??
What about reversed polarity

and /or a borrowed neutral.

Is it single or multiphase?

Post a picture showing which neutral is arcing.

If it's arcing, it obviously still has power going through it, so may not relate to the circuit you think is turned off.

Got a power circuit powered OFFbut the neutral cables still arching and sparking can some one tell me why this happens??
Because you have the wrong power circuit switched off by the sounds of if. Or you are disconnecting the wrong neutral. Either way we need more information. domestic or commercial, single or three phase, what voltage and or current have you read down this neutral? I presume you have metered it out to ascertain what voltage is there. Whats the earthing type? If it is a domestic and the whole installation can be de-energised it would probably be no more than 10 mins to identify exactly which circuit the voltage is coming from. Photograph would also help us give a more precise answer.

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:39 ----------

What about reversed polarity
If the cable belonged to the correct circuit and the circuit has been broken there will be no current flowing whether it is correct or reverse polarity. This has got to be a connection between circuits or the incorrect protective device has been identified.

Doc H.