Architects specifications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbaricduck

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been away for a week, but now back ohms so been looking at all posts I may have missed in the interim. I was reading the 'Oddball Spec' post by Evans Electrical (very entertaining!!) and it got me thinking.

I had to recently price a rewire for a

plan it to 7671 but take some of the architect info. like the flow rate - may not pass building regs if its not whats states, so that would be done. but likes of accessories, ask customer if they want the normal version, or the expensive version architect wants

I agree with you there. I often price on the spec sheet I get, some customers will insist on say crabtree socket outlets, or Mitre trunking systems etc etc.

The problem that architects have is, most of the drawings they do they often refer to a magazine article or a known brand they are familiar with.

(normally from the 1970's with prices to suit).

I give them two quotes,one with the spec they give and one with what I think they should have. However be very carefull how you do the quotations make sure the equivalent quote is explained to them fully.

Thanks folks,

I have sometimes found if you try to explain that the architects 'vision' is unneccessary, the potential client thinks you are trying to cut corners!! And thats the last you hear of them. Peeves me that the architects view can set a precedent. A joiner I know says just throw in cheap an cheerful, they will never know. I refuse to diddle people or open myself up to future problems in that way though. Still a pain though pricing up daft (as it were!) materials.

Thanks folks,I have sometimes found if you try to explain that the architects 'vision' is unneccessary, the potential client thinks you are trying to cut corners!! And thats the last you hear of them. Peeves me that the architects view can set a precedent. A joiner I know says just throw in cheap an cheerful, they will never know. I refuse to diddle people or open myself up to future problems in that way though. Still a pain though pricing up daft (as it were!) materials.
I had a problem with one who marked on the plans for the smoke alarms and emergency lighting which where totally wrong.

They said I was talking rubbish so I went to the next meeting with the local fire safety officer, I was polite the fire safety officer was not.

It was really embarrasing for the architect but I burned my bridge with him!

I will never get anymore work from him but good riddance to arrogent *****

I had a problem with one who marked on the plans for the smoke alarms and emergency lighting which where totally wrong.They said I was talking rubbish so I went to the next meeting with the local fire safety officer, I was polite the fire safety officer was not.

It was really embarrasing for the architect but I burned my bridge with him!

I will never get anymore work from him but good riddance to arrogent *****
well you did offer him the chance to sort it

Yes the manufacturers with a good brand normally have a significant marketing budget that is targeted at architects and specifiers. We have the same problem trying to switch sell to give a realistic and significantly cheaper quotation while keeping the specification the same. Part of the job is providing 2 quotations, its worth it if you win the quote.

Barbaricduck makes a good point as in, are we all quoting off the same hymn sheet, ie: the architech's spec. Some contractors seem to get away with murder when , say, the spec asks for solid gold 24 ct. light switches with diamond encrusted switch dollys, they just fit some cheapo far eastern plastic plate switch costing 50 pence and argue the toss till they get paid .

Barbaricduck makes a good point as in, are we all quoting off the same hymn sheet, ie: the architech's spec. Some contractors seem to get away with murder when , say, the spec asks for solid gold 24 ct. light switches with diamond encrusted switch dollys, they just fit some cheapo far eastern plastic plate switch costing 50 pence and argue the toss till they get paid .
If I win a quote based on the material and spec list that I get, I put in what they ask for.

You could end up being taken to court for not providing the service and products you say you would.

On the other hand I do always show a cheaper more cost effective way of providing the same spec but with cheaper materials etc.

It can be an awkward and time-consuming minefield; however I`d go with Alert here - if you`ll get the contract its usually worth double quoting ( unless you really don`t care if you get the job or not!!!!!

I double quote occasionally; but most of my work is for customers who`ve been recommended, and don`t look at the price when the contract for the work.

It seems as though the presentation and level of knowledge you can demonstrate has a massive effect on your chances of getting a contract; esp. if your target customer is a professional (doctor; lawyer; vet etc.....) Sorry `pache:)

It seems as though the presentation and level of knowledge you can demonstrate has a massive effect on your chances of getting a contract; esp. if your target customer is a professional (doctor; lawyer; vet etc.....) Sorry `pache:)
I do agree with you 100% there. I want someone I can trust with my house keys for the day. I want someone who knows what they are talking about.

In my case when I needed a spark I got a card off him having vaccinated his dog! He made the extra effort to come and quote in the evening because he knew I worked. The other spark in my village never returned my answer phone message. Just rude

:D

Apache I have sincere respect and knowledge of your comments.

Far too often electricians will ignore some phone calls.

I think it is far better to reply and let the potential customer know you are far too busy to do anything for them, than to not answer and be ignorant.

Remember if you are busy it normally means your good! (or cheap)!!!

Do not go for rude Apache, and when you see his cat in your surgery tell him you are going to have to neuter the owner! not the cat!

Apache I have sincere respect and knowledge of your comments.Far too often electricians will ignore some phone calls.

I think it is far better to reply and let the potential customer know you are far too busy to do anything for them, than to not answer and be ignorant.

Remember if you are busy it normally means your good! (or cheap)!!!

Do not go for rude Apache, and when you see his cat in your surgery tell him you are going to have to neuter the owner! not the cat!
A simple 'sorry we're snowed under' would have sufficed. It's a small community here - we do his vetting! ;)

And he ( and his business) have now been well and truly "vetted" ????And found somewhat lacking........ :) :) :)
Something like that! His dog tried to commit suiscide by chasing a rabbit over a 10 metre drop. Wasn't so well.

's funny - we weren't to busy to treat it........

I'm getting cross now! ;)

Latest posts