Asbestos Fuses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar.maskell

Reaction score
Hi guys one I've been pondering for a while

Asbestos insulated fuse carriers on the old 3036 rewriable fuses normally 3 phases boards what's the deal with testing as i know asbestos is not to be disturbed bit of a nightmare with this one and thing I could be opening a bag of worms ??

Any comments greatly appreciated

To comply with the CAWR your client has a statute law duty to inform you of this prior to any inspection.

They should be coded C2.

Possibly with a further investigation.

The devil is in the detail as usual.

Thanks mate I'll have to look into it I am very dubious about removing them and inspecting the fuse wire

Would you or have you done it personally especially as I am aware they are easy to crack

Do you think that 3036 fuse bards should be recommended for replacement anyway, even without asbestos insulation?

Thanks mate I'll have to look into it I am very dubious about removing them and inspecting the fuse wire Would you or have you done it personally especially as I am aware they are easy to crack
They won't crack they are asbestos cloth not rigid.

Trust me I have played with them!

I will be certainly recommending replacement but does any one know how to have then removed im assuming cant just be thrown in normal waste do you need full on asbestos removal certs

See the links Canoe has posted.

They can't be thrown in normal waste that is a criminal offence.

You need to dispose of them as hazardous asbestos containing waste.

No you don't need a licence to remove them.

Not sure of your term of asbestos removal certs.

Not sure you can code them as a C2 sidewinder... not an electrical issue per say... just a H&S one... I note it down on the report but dont put a code to it. Fuse wire size is a LIM.

Removing them, there is a guide on the HSE website, but basically it goes isolate, cut cables without pulling fuse out, if possible spray something in the board to stop any stray fibres becomming airborne.... water with washing up liquid in it, thin solution of PVC glue, etc. Then remove board as a whole and double bag in the red and clear asbestos bags you get. And call your friendly asbestos contractor to come and take it away.

Now then... the situation on removing the fuse if the wire has blown and you need to restore power.... no one has even given me much in the way of a committed answer, not even the asbestos training provider, its all been a very vague... "Um, its a low risk, but they still shouldn't be removed" kind of answer. Its the elephant in the corner that no one wants to acknowledge!

Yes Phoenix I am sure it is a C2, I had this "out" with my AE on my last assessment, he disagreed, then we went through the regs and he agreed.

I has come from a GN3 committee member I had the same debate with TBH.

As Phoenix has said . I have the H&S advice pamphlet somewhere , I was looking for advice on pulling the fuse, it said, " Employ an electrician to make the board safe , leave the door closed, cut off all the outgoing cable/conduit/etc , seal the board in a plastic bag, lever it off the wall and dispose of it .

the H&S guy at the firm I subby too has no issue with the fuses being pulled by competent persons, then being bagged.

if the carriers have asbestos in them he wants them removed and bagged too!

the boards are then bagged seperately according to him.

TBH, I dont see any big issue, as much as I want to avoid the stuff the amount of 75mm holes I drilled in artex etc Im not that bothered about pulling a fuse.

under all the relevant legal laws etc you understand.

Its all about PC again I'm afraid, now the pipe laggers and boiler makers were exposed the heaps of the stuff, they say in the railways you could not see across the shed for the particles in the air, a lot suffered in later years due to lack of H&S but also the affects were not known then.

I don't think pulling a fuse is on the same level, but you need to abide by the rules or you won't be able to claim should the need arise.

I have a mate who has been an Artexer most of his life, the old stuff used to be mostly asbestos and when he mixed up he used to be covered in the powder, he's still with us and fighting fit, his only side affect is he can drink tee and coffee almost at boiling point.

The older Electricians on here would have put many many light fittings up onto the original artex ceilings, often making the hole bigger with a screwdriver to centre the fitting, then looking like they had just done a line of coke. I wonder how many of us have been affected.

I must admit my lungs are not great and I have always blamed the fiberglass, that green course s**t, and wish I had worn a mask when young and not waited until it was too late.

observations classified as

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked into it turns out HSE recommend only touch them e.g remove from carrier if using right kind of PPE