assessment job to choose

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
wow... there are a lot of post's about this recently..... ;)

Got my assessment coming up, for domestic slightly nervous?

Got a few jobs to choose from... Got the minor one sorted.

But for the major one, I have two to choose from,

1) A full kitchen rewire, including bathroom above, and a sub consumer unit.

2) Small room with 1 radial and 1 light.

My question is, which do you think it is worth showing them? although I know that there is nothing wrong with job 1 I feel that , the less they see the less there is to potential get wrong , if you know what I mean.

What

Good luck with it. Spec Loc has said before they like a cooker circuit for you to isolate and test. Doesn't mess up the rest of the house. I think I'd pick the kitchen job. But I'm not a spark.

You do not need to show them a ring final circuit. You need one minor job and one major job (usually new circuit). My advice - keep it simple so the 2nd job will be fine. Have a back up job is what the NIC have told me (for my upcoming assessment) in case someone isn't in as they will charge you for a re-assessment.

Have a back up job is what the NIC have told me (for my upcoming assessment) in case someone isn't in as they will charge you for a re-assessment.
cheers,

One job is at the in laws, and so i have a key

and the other is at the next doors who are retired... so they are always about ....

ive used a full re-wire for 3 assessments now (the last one was day 2 of the re-wire when he came). he is only there for the same time, so tis unlikely he will check more just because you have a larger job

i think i may take both test results and show him job 2 , if he want more i can show him the bigger job... they are very close together.

funnily enough I always show full rewires for all of my assessments.

I remeber the first two times I just shoved the certs in front of the assessor and said pick two.

Now I get them ready and always have a back up.

I like the full rewires because it shows what you do, and how you do them.

Most of the assessors know me and most assesments are now a formality, with more questions than hands on , however they still insist on doing the bloody cooker circuit.

however they still insist on doing the bloody cooker circuit.
but that could be a good thing..... cooker circuit being more time consuming moving cookers get to get to it. more time spent taking off covers means less time 'testing' other stuff

wow... there are a lot of post's about this recently..... ;) Got my assessment coming up, for domestic slightly nervous?

Got a few jobs to choose from... Got the minor one sorted.

But for the major one, I have two to choose from,

1) A full kitchen rewire, including bathroom above, and a sub consumer unit.

2) Small room with 1 radial and 1 light.

My question is, which do you think it is worth showing them? although I know that there is nothing wrong with job 1 I feel that , the less they see the less there is to potential get wrong , if you know what I mean.

What

I showed them a CU change and new oven circuit as my major job once and nearly got "limited scope" instead of "full scope"..

Even though I think the assessor was wrong in saying that it wasn't enough I will not take the risk again so from now on I always show a rewire as my main job.

I showed them a CU change and new oven circuit as my major job once and nearly got "limited scope" instead of "full scope"..Even though I think the assessor was wrong in saying that it wasn't enough I will not take the risk again so from now on I always show a rewire as my main job.
Quite right too a cu change and one circuit cannot really show that you know what you are doing, maybe if it is your first assessment but if you are sparking full time surely it has to be a rewire with new consumer unit.

Batty

Hi Nozspark,

how can your assessor put you on Limited scope when thats only for minor works! You have showed him major installs and not level B stuff so I think he is either unsure of the rules or just another idiot where the power has gone to his head! X(

He didn't put me on limited scope, but he did comment that I was close to being put on limited scope... I did extend a socket circuit as well..

What I was trying to say was that it's not worth the risk in having a relatively small job as your major

I think the criteria is a major job and a minor job, which is the minimum.

We have had this discussion before on this forum, and a conclusion given by most members is that, should your jobs not show enough of your capabilities then the assessor has no option but to ask more questions to accertain your capabilities, and competance.

We all know that actions speak louder than words, so if you show him more, the more he learns of your abilities, and can easily make the assessment of your compliance.

I am going to show my next assessor two jobs that do not conform to the regulations, this is to prove a point, whilst they do not conform, I have given my reasons on the EIC for both, and registered that reason in the limitations and deviations section of the certificates I issued.

Providing that I have not left the installation any more dangerous than when I started the work, I have fully complied with both the BS 7671 and building control.

(the installations have been made safer by my work by the way)

Its just that the cowboys who did the original supply to the flats had no idea of fault loops and may not have even tested anything out.

Interesting reading this. I haven't even got my application to Elecsa in yet and i'm already getting concerns about the assessment. As a first timer who hasn't started trading 'properly' yet I'm obviously limited in what I can use as jobs. Luckily my CU melted and had to be replaced so i'm using that. Additionally I split the sole ring main into two separate rings so creating a new circuit. I'm assuming all this is OK for one job. Doing another job this week - spur off ring for wall mounted TV.

As i've had to get BC involved for the CU change they'll be wanting test sheets. Originally they said they'd test the install and issue certificates but i'm getting the impression they don't have much of a clue (no surprises there). As well as this what do I need to show at the assessment as regards testing?

Latest posts