Bathroom extractor fan - Effectiveness

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wowzers! I wasn't expecting there to be so much involved in measuring the extraction rate! :^O I'll be honest and say I didn't carry out any of the aforemnetioned tests when I installed the fan. The bathroom is less than 10m2 and I felt that with the fan being directly above the shower it would be perfectly effective. The overrun on the fan was set at about 2/3 minutes but when I go back i'll set it for longer, I should've done that at the start anyway.

What is the actual difference between axial fans and centrifugal fans? It could be that maybe a stronger fan is required.

Axiel fans are designed for straight thru the wall jobs, OR very short ducting.

Centrifugal fans can push against "negative pressure" of the ducting and are really the only effective type of in line ducted fan I have found.

The Manrose Man50T is one that I use and is far more effective then the cheap "Shower Fan Kits"

For really LONG duct runs then the Vortice Line0 100T is excellent.

Wowzers! I wasn't expecting there to be so much involved in measuring the extraction rate! :^O I'll be honest and say I didn't carry out any of the aforemnetioned tests when I installed the fan. The bathroom is less than 10m2 and I felt that with the fan being directly above the shower it would be perfectly effective. The overrun on the fan was set at about 2/3 minutes but when I go back i'll set it for longer, I should've done that at the start anyway.What is the actual difference between axial fans and centrifugal fans? It could be that maybe a stronger fan is required.
The way I test is hold a sheet of a4 paper up to it if it can't hold it it ain't working very well. Centrifugal fans can move air over longer distances so if its in the loft I use the manroise cfd fans never had problem with them moving air. They need to run for at least ten minutes to get rid of any condensation. I always fit fan isolators that way if they have a wee in the night they can turn them off.

Got a ventilation job myself over Xmas week, student let property, client not too worried bout cost within reason just wants to get rid off condensation problem. bathroom contains only bath with shower over head of bath and sink no WC. bathroom 6ft x 4ft6in 9ft ceiling, opening window over sink. will be fitting wall fan at foot of bath near ceiling.

am thinking of fitting this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADICON30.html

with the Passive infrared activation with adjustable humidity setting and adjustable timer overrun module.

Got a ventilation job myself over Xmas week, student let property, client not too worried bout cost within reason just wants to get rid off condensation problem. bathroom contains only bath with shower over head of bath and sink no WC. bathroom 6ft x 4ft6in 9ft ceiling, opening window over sink. will be fitting wall fan at foot of bath near ceiling.am thinking of fitting this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADICON30.html

with the Passive infrared activation with adjustable humidity setting and adjustable timer overrun module.
I'v seen a couple of these in situ and not been too impressed not much extraction, may not have been exact match tho.

Got a ventilation job myself over Xmas week, student let property, client not too worried bout cost within reason just wants to get rid off condensation problem. bathroom contains only bath with shower over head of bath and sink no WC. bathroom 6ft x 4ft6in 9ft ceiling, opening window over sink. will be fitting wall fan at foot of bath near ceiling.am thinking of fitting this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADICON30.html

Trouble is with student accomadation students don't care about it so you will have problems. Your idea seems good but I have fitted an Icon fan once but was not that impressed with it. Another option would be a ceiling pir connected to a manrose cfd fan in the loft if they have one. I would put isolation switch in loft so its not likely to get switched off.

default_good%20luck.gif

Trouble is with student accomadation students don't care about it so you will have problems. Your idea seems good but I have fitted an Icon fan once but was not that impressed with it. Another option would be a ceiling pir connected to a manrose cfd fan in the loft if they have one. I would put isolation switch in loft so its not likely to get switched off.
default_good%20luck.gif
I cant put one in the loft as he doesn't want it going through the roof and there are no external walls in the loft it being a terrace house.

was going to fit a ceiling pull cord isolator in bathroom with shortened cord just out of reach so need step ladder to reach it.

didn't think you could put isolator in the loft, thought it had to be reasonably accessible.

Ta

I cant put one in the loft as he doesn't want it going through the roof and there are no external walls in the loft it being a terrace house. was going to fit a ceiling pull cord isolator in bathroom with shortened cord just out of reach so need step ladder to reach it.

didn't think you could put isolator in the loft, thought it had to be reasonably accessible.

Ta
Sounds like a good plan (shotrened cord).

Isolator can go in the loft if the fan is in the loft (adjacent to the fan), if it's a thru wall fan then it needs to be somewhere reasonably accessible (not in loft)

We use the Nuaire Genie X units in student lets http://www.nuaire.co.uk/IandM/671182.pdf as they have constant extraction 24/7 with the facility to use a boost facility either locally or by installing a humidistat module.

I totally agree with batty and speaking from experience, the majority of students really don't give a s**t about the property they're living in so you've just got to take that responsibilty from out of there hands.

I'm not complaining though, I love students and their living habits as they generate lots of work for me...!!! ;)

Axiel fans are designed for straight thru the wall jobs, OR very short ducting.Centrifugal fans can push against "negative pressure" of the ducting and are really the only effective type of in line ducted fan I have found.

The Manrose Man50T is one that I use and is far more effective then the cheap "Shower Fan Kits"

For really LONG duct runs then the Vortice Line0 100T is excellent.
Can the Manrose Man50T fan be ceiling mounted? The description(s) i've found don't seem to say.

For in-line work, I use either the Soler-Palau SLTD160 or SLTD250 duct fan, or occasionally the TD-Silent (all from TLC).

Last bathroom job for the council - 4" fan installed - not doing much, even though it`s straight through wall. We upgraded to a 6" wall mount with humidistat, and the problem has cleared - but we worked out the air movement required for the room; made an allowance for the unfavourable fan location, and selected the 6" unit.

moral: don`t just chuck in a basic 4" fan, cos its cheapest - it may not do what the customer needs it to do.

KME

Completely agree with kme! If only I could find the thanks button (sorry Admin - bet no-one's said that yet!!!!)

The TLC site has some good technical sections including a fan size calculator - well worth a look.

Latest posts