Bathroom extractor fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcampbell

Reaction score
Hi all,

swapping out a bathroom extractor fan like for like for a customer which does not currently have an isolator fitted. As its a straight swap, will I need to install an isolator?

Thank you!

Well ....I suppose as a responsible sparks you should offer to fit an isolator ...we all have to as we are told these days..... so inform the customer and if they are willing to pay you , do it.

If they are not willing to pay you , then you need to decide wether you are a charity or not .

Really wanted to cut down on the charity this year! As you say, for my own peace of mind I want to fit one however if they do not want to cough up the extra.. tough one.. mind you, as a fledgling business it might be good for referrals, going the extra mile etc..

The manufacturers instructions will say that an isolator needs to be fitted, if one is not fitted and someone gets a shock, will the duty holder be held responsible if the customer did not want one fitted?

If the customer does not want an isolator fitted and you carry on with the fan swap, can you put down on the certificate that they did not want to have it installed?

No need for a cert if swapping like for like, but you could do one to give them confidence in you. Could add the client declined isolation.

The duty holder or responsible person is the customer /client / owner , as I have argued before , its not you. As in my favourite saying , " We are not the Electric Police "

Say there was no cover on their fuseboard , it would be their responsibility to get it put right. If you saw it you can't make them do anything , just have to cover your ass TBH

We can get too involved with some of these things TBH although years back I did cut the flex off an unguarded ,open wire wound element ,wall mounted electric fire , customer's kids were playing right on top of it. I said you are going to have severe burns or death from shock , they couldn't give a stuff, so cut the flex off , shoved it in my toolbox and left . Never heard anything.

im sure the items in the fuseboard will cover the isolator problem, but they will not solve the fusing down issue which there maybe.