Bathroom Extractor Fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrics_new

Reaction score
HI

I've got a customer who lives on a 5th floor flat and wants an extractor fan installed in there bathroom.  Without the expense of scaffolding, customer has suggested to me that others in the building have extractor fans mounted in the window.  

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Any fan models recommended etc ?

thanks

Try this.

Bathroom Extractor Fans - Extractor Fans | Screwfix.com

Some of these units (they are all about 4") have flaps that

close when the fan is off, some do not.

You need to read the instructions carefully about the wiring,

and CHECK the hole diameter or you will not get it to fit.

The classy unit is still Vent Axia. 

Rather you than me trying to cut a 4" hole in glass which will most probably be double glazed in which you will break the vacuum seal of the glass. Not advisable. Tell em to open the window when having a shower instead of steaming the place out causing damp and all sort of probs.

I'd advise them to open window or get some scaffolding up matey

That was my afterthought;  If you were fitting

one of these would you not be working on

BOTH sides of the glass?

Replace the unit with one with a 105mm (if 4inch) hole in it, DG would be easier than single glazed as you wouldn't have the putty to get everywhere!

I have assumed internally beaded.  :B-

You can get a 4" duct and vent that you fit from the inside of the property... or drill the hole and fish a vent up from an open window using a bit of string through the hole, fix in place using no nails ;)

Search for "high rise extractor duct" ;)

You can get a 4" duct and vent that you fit from the inside of the property... or drill the hole and fish a vent up from an open window using a bit of string through the hole, fix in place using no nails ; )Search for "high rise extractor duct" ;)
I too have employed that method...only all the windows were fixed anD we had to pull the vent up 11 floors!

If using this method choose a round grille and NOT a square one!!!

Clear silicone or no nails as well.....prevents unsightly dribbles (( Quote, Ken Barlow, ex-actor, 2013))

you can install a vent without having to get to the outside of the hole...

and its probably a good thing your customer isable to suggest a wya to do the job, maybe they should just cut the middle man and do it themselves...

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have employed that method...only all the windows were fixed anD we had to pull the vent up 11 floors!

If using this method choose a round grille and NOT a square one!!!

Clear silicone or no nails as well.....prevents unsightly dribbles (( Quote, Ken Barlow, ex-actor, 2013))
11 floors is quite a way :eek:

The last one I did I used clear stick like *#&%,, it didn't have a cure time on the tube so I phoned them up... 24hours :eek: Thankfully it was on a friends house and I'm doing the job as a 1st and 2nd fix :)

You can obtain a High Rise Vent Kit from Manrose just the job for this, you core out hole from inside then push the terminal in the hole, align and pull back to seal.

Use them all the time as a safer option to ladder access above 1st floor level.

Agree,  My favourite builder drills a 4" core drill through the inner,  clears out then through to the other side,  Wraps fine zinc mesh over the end of some soil pipe and adds a bit of Grip-Fill,  pushed the lot through until flush with outside (watch through pipe) then sealed at the inside and fitted the ventilator.  The trick is apparently to drill very nearly level rather than down a bit as usual when going through a wall . .  helps to keep the core in the hole.

TBH it is a good job to watch with a cup of tea if you can get a cheap price from a reliable builder  . . . as the cost of  a major slip up is horrible