Bathroom extractor fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick question to save me looking: Been to look at a bathroom extractor fan today, its positioned on the outside wall above the bath to the side and slightly lower than the shower so will fall into zone 1, got to change unit so just want to check that it needs to be either IPX4 or SELV is that correct? Will save me checking in the big red book.

The fan needs to be selv so you will need to find somewhere to place a transfomer outside the zones 1 / 2 change of subject do you race the kart and if so what class CJS

Hello, Thanks for the reply. Sold the kart last year but yeah did used to race it in TKM. Raced for about 5 years all in. Now building a copy of a Lotus 7 called a Locost 7 and hoping to race that when its done. Do you race karts then?

i think (havnt got the BRB handy) as long as the fan is IPx4 you are ok, as it is ventilation equipment.

I think in Zone 1 only selv can be installed so will have to be extra low voltage CJS

you can install mains voltage lights in zone 1 as long as they are correctly IP rated for their location, im sure its all in the same reg for current using equipment in that zone.

you can install mains voltage lights in zone 1 as long as they are correctly IP rated for their location, im sure its all in the same reg for current using equipment in that zone.
True but I think the selv units are more commonly ipx4, personally in that zone I would go with selv

i would go with SELV if i had the choice personally, as long as it is IPx4. I had to read this reg when installing a saniflow in zone 1 below a bath.

Thanks for the replies guys, the cabling has already all been buried in the wall behind the tiling so converting it to selv could be a problem as its a replacement for an existing failed fan so will probably not be able to go SELV. Just found an IPX5 one so will probably go for that.

put the transformer next to the allready installed fan isolator switch thats usually over the doorway??

Put SELV in Foxy , can it be touched from the bath, condensation running down tiles,240v fan , live wall , dead bather. OOoops !!

Use the existing pair to the fan as your 12 volt feed.