Shower Fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurce

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a low voltage shower fan installed above my shower cubicle - See photo #1 (with the fan removed) the hanging cable goes to a converter - See photo #2 with an isolation switch.

I am trying to buy a low voltage fan but there are very few and not pretty, so my question would be can I install a 230v fan and remove the converter as the fan is in the outside zone as shown below - https://www.heatershop.co.uk/ip-rat...c&utm_term=heatershop co&utm_content=Ad group

Many Thanks in advance for your help.Photo1.jpgPhoto2.jpg

1689790317276.png

Whatever you do choose to fit, (12v or 230v), check carefully the volume of air they can actually extract..

As a significant quantity of wall / ceiling fans are only designed to work with short duct lengths and also have lower extraction rates..
(so they struggle with shifting high volumes of moist air through long ducts!)

If you duct is more than a couple of feet long (600mm), I would be looking to use an inline fan with a higher volume extraction rate... and just a ceiling vent grill over the existing hole.
e.g. many in-line fans can move double or more the volume of air than a standard wall/ceiling fan.

You want to be looking for Centrifugal fans NOT Axial fans.

Also make sure you room has sufficient gaps to allow the same volume of clean dry air in, to replace the air you are trying to extract. e.g. No snug fitted carpets sealing the bottom of the door!

Whatever you do choose to fit, (12v or 230v), check carefully the volume of air they can actually extract..

As a significant quantity of wall / ceiling fans are only designed to work with short duct lengths and also have lower extraction rates..
(so they struggle with shifting high volumes of moist air through long ducts!)

If you duct is more than a couple of feet long (600mm), I would be looking to use an inline fan with a higher volume extraction rate... and just a ceiling vent grill over the existing hole.
e.g. many in-line fans can move double or more the volume of air than a standard wall/ceiling fan.

You want to be looking for Centrifugal fans NOT Axial fans.

Also make sure you room has sufficient gaps to allow the same volume of clean dry air in, to replace the air you are trying to extract. e.g. No snug fitted carpets sealing the bottom of the door!
Thanks for your feedback, this is the ceiling fan I was looking at getting (27 litres per second, 97 cubic metres per hour extraction rate. IP45 ingress protection)100mm Environment friendly Chrome Quiet Powerful Bathroom Kitchen Extractor Fan 4 inch Shower Wall or Ceiling Mounted Ventilation Mould Control for 100 mm Ducting Simple Silent Toilet badlüfter fan https://amzn.eu/d/eURByYZ 100mm Environment friendly Chrome Quiet Powerful Bathroom Kitchen Extractor Fan 4 inch Shower Wall or Ceiling Mounted Ventilation ... https://amzn.eu/d/fRq5GUq, and the ducting from ceiling to outside is just over a meter.

screwfix Are selling one with 20 m3/hr more than the ceiling fan I posted do you recommend a centrifugal inline fan?

230V if the shower head is fixed downward facing 12V fan if it can be pointed up 'even for a laugh'