Bedsits & smoke alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hello all

Does anyone know if there are particular things to consider when wiring for a bedsit?

Also, would someone explain the differences between the vast array of smoke/fire alarms (optical... ?:| ) ; which are best to use.

Can someone also confirm whether an immersion heater is used with a combi boiler? I'm thinking "not", but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you.

N

Hello allDoes anyone know if there are particular things to consider when wiring for a bedsit?
Not particularly different to usual, Nat - just smaller ;)

Also, would someone explain the differences between the vast array of smoke/fire alarms (optical... ?:| ) ; which are best to use.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Regulations/Fire1.htm

Gives a good guideline.......

Can someone also confirm whether an immersion heater is used with a combi boiler? I'm thinking "not", but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you.

N
Not as a rule, as the combi would negate the requirement for a cylinder; therefore having nowhere to put the immersion (other than the nearest bin......) ;)

KME

Not as a rule, as the combi would negate the requirement for a cylinder; therefore having nowhere to put the immersion (other than the nearest bin......) ;) KME
IMO - the biggest disadvantage of a combi - you need gas and electricity to make hot water. With my tank I can shower by torchlight :D

Does anyone know if there are particular things to consider when wiring for a bedsit?
Like what? For general wiring or you mean any specific regulations regarding fire alarm, emergency lights etc...

http://www.aico.co.uk/downloads.htm Few reasonably in depth guides there.

Ordinarily no. The combi boiler just heats water as it is required, bit like a big gas powered instantaneous shower, so no storage tanks required. You can (although this is more for decent high end specced systems, not your average bedsit) fit a tank to store some hot water if required. I would just check to make sure, but I would say most likely that there will be no tanks.

With my tank I can shower by torchlight :D
Where does your hot water come from?

Thanks guys. Lurch - the chap wants to re-wire a flat which he's making into a 5-bed, 2 bath bedsit (have I used the wrong word there???). Yes, I did mean with regards to EL and Fire alarms.

Ta

Hi Nat, with the smokes , ionisation work quicker by sensing the product of combustion, so burnt toast will do it.

Optical "sees" the smoke in a chamber ,so its slower to react. Also use a heat detector if you want, mix and match .

Optical often goes by a kitchen to lessen the false alarms or a heat detector in the kitchen.

Deke

Deke

Can you get a heat detector combined with the other types or does this have to be in addition to?

IMO - the biggest disadvantage of a combi - you need gas and electricity to make hot water. With my tank I can shower by torchlight :D
oh er!!!BlushingBlushingBlushing

Admin!!

Patch is posting rude thoughts again...

Shower by torchlight indeed! ]:)

DekeCan you get a heat detector combined with the other types or does this have to be in addition to?
I can't say I've come across a combined one TBH . It would tend to defeat the object . A house into flats ,perhaps best with linked ionisation for the quickest warning, I guess. Better a few false alarms than trapped in a burning flat.

Latest posts