Best Brand for Consumer Units

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the db is staying at that level then go for a metal one. or some good boxing

PFC or PSSC I suspect...

...which is something I fell foul of at my last assessment. The house in question was only about 100 yds from the substation and I was getting a PFC of 22kA. I had only fitted a standard Wylex board with a 6k rating on the MCBs.

My assessor suggested changing it for a new board with BS1361 fuses instead, or putting in a sub main to the other side of the house to raise the Ze. All of which sounded like a lot of expense to me!!!

PFC or PSSC I suspect......which is something I fell foul of at my last assessment. The house in question was only about 100 yds from the substation and I was getting a PFC of 22kA. I had only fitted a standard Wylex board with a 6k rating on the MCBs.

My assessor suggested changing it for a new board with BS1361 fuses instead, or putting in a sub main to the other side of the house to raise the Ze. All of which sounded like a lot of expense to me!!!
Who was this with? There's a couple of threads on this, but you can use the DNO's fuse to break the fault current in most circumstances.

you can use the DNO's fuse to break the fault current in most circumstances.
I recently rewired a house with a PFC of 5.9KA, so it was something I had to consider

The thinking behind it is that the MCB has to break the current without being damaged, as the next thing that happens after the power goes off is that someone switches the circuit back on to see if it now works, or to find out what tripped it in the first place.

Tad inconvenient using the cutout fuse, IMHO.

PFC or PSSC I suspect......which is something I fell foul of at my last assessment. The house in question was only about 100 yds from the substation and I was getting a PFC of 22kA. I had only fitted a standard Wylex board with a 6k rating on the MCBs.

as lurch says, providing DNO fuse can take the full PFC, then your good.

just make sure thats its the correct fuse though. an BS1361 type 1 is only 16.5KA

I'm with Elecsa, and my assessor and the technical line disagreed...

The tech bods pointed me to the part of the OSG that says the DNO fuse is the protection needed in domestic for the max fault that can occur. i.e. the 22k reading I got would be prevented by the supplier and you'd never get above 16.

Also there is annex A (IIRC) to the CU standard which allows a CU designed to this to be used with fault currents in excess of its rating, IF it is protected by an upstream devic capable of interupting said fault current.

TOO late to look up now sorry!