Best Growatt inverter + battery settings for Intelligent Octopus

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yessuz

Reaction score
So as per title, I suppose...

Idea is - the IO provide you with the fluctuating off tariff hours, core hours for off peak being 23:30 - to 5:30 but you can get those cheap slots like 22:00 for just 30 minutes or so.

I obviously plan to charge my car during those off-peak slots quite often (would use solar if there is enough sun...) as well as I would like to avoid using the home battery to charge my car as much as I can.

So default setting is load first. then, if I use solar, I would dial down power on the car to charge just below the available sun levels.

However how to set-up the battery usage for the house during those low off-peak rates? I expect there is more or less no way to separate grid use for the car and remaining house to live on the battery. as well as setting battery first mode for some stupid off-peak 30 minute slot once in a while is also not all that viable (PIA). additionally, the slot might be at 6:30 or so, where my car still might need to charge but then I either need to set another slot for the off-peak either I need to let the car to drain by house battery.

anyone lives with IO tariff and set it the right way?

p.s. Noticed interesting behaviour on Load first: let's say PV is producing 1.03 kw, house draw is 0.33 kw, Battery SOC being 96% - instead of adding remaining 0.7 kw to the battery to top up the SOC to 100% it keeps exporting that 0.7 to grid.. any particular reason for such behaviour, or just growatt quirks?

Last edited:
So as per title, I suppose...

Idea is - the IO provide you with the fluctuating off tariff hours, core hours for off peak being 23:30 - to 5:30 but you can get those cheap slots like 22:00 for just 30 minutes or so.

I obviously plan to charge my car during those off-peak slots quite often (would use solar if there is enough sun...) as well as I would like to avoid using the home battery to charge my car as much as I can.

So default setting is load first. then, if I use solar, I would dial down power on the car to charge just below the available sun levels.
I think youre going to need something like Home Assistant running in background to automate that. I did succesfully change settings on my SPH6000 from Home Assistant and I could see when the Zappi was charging outside of the scheduled off peak window and then change operating modes. I eventually ditched it on the Growatt and moved it across to the Victron.

However how to set-up the battery usage for the house during those low off-peak rates? I expect there is more or less no way to separate grid use for the car and remaining house to live on the battery. as well as setting battery first mode for some stupid off-peak 30 minute slot once in a while is also not all that viable (PIA). additionally, the slot might be at 6:30 or so, where my car still might need to charge but then I either need to set another slot for the off-peak either I need to let the car to drain by house battery.
Automate it as per above.

anyone lives with IO tariff and set it the right way?
I do.

p.s. Noticed interesting behaviour on Load first: let's say PV is producing 1.03 kw, house draw is 0.33 kw, Battery SOC being 96% - instead of adding remaining 0.7 kw to the battery to top up the SOC to 100% it keeps exporting that 0.7 to grid.. any particular reason for such behaviour, or just growatt quirks?
I suspect that may be the battery BMS stopping it charging. There are a few Growatt foybles though:-
1) At sunrise and sunset or thereabouts the inverter will not use battery power, allegedly it's running a self test routine which to me is ********, you will see it in the logs / graphs, it makes no sense.
2) When running on batteries your 6000w inverter will only supply 3000w.

do you have a link for such automation?
I got my EV (tesla) with Tesla Custom integration and IO integrations up and running.

My idea would be:
If car is charging during off-peak - disable battery discharge. It is not necessary to charge at the same time.
but once car has reached the carging SOC level it should disable battery first and switch house to operate from the battery :/

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts